Do I need to do anything to have bankruptcy removed from my record? 22 Answers as of February 11, 2015

I, unfortunately, had to go through a Chapter 7 bankruptcy with my ex-husband. That was back in October 2007 (discharge date). Seven years later, I thought the bankruptcy would be removed from my record. However, I tried to apply for a credit card and was turned down due to a bankruptcy on my credit report.

Eranthe Law Firm
Eranthe Law Firm | Cate Eranthe
A bankruptcy stays on your credit report for ten years. That means it will come off in October 2017. If the credit bureaus don't remove it then, you can let them know it is disputed and should be taken off. The accounts that were included in the bankruptcy should be zero and there should be no derogatory information such as late pays. In order to establish credit I recommend a secured card. You make a bank deposit and can charge up to the balance of the deposit. Make small charges and pay down. Just make sure it reports to the credit bureaus. That way you won't be getting yourself back into debt and will eventually have credit when it is needed.
EDWARD P RUSSELL | EDWARD P RUSSELL
A Ch 7 bankruptcy stays on the credit report for 10 years.
Tokarska Law Center
Tokarska Law Center | Kathryn U. Tokarska
The bankruptcy stays on the credit report for 10 years. I am surprised however that you would be turned down for credit, this far away from the filing date. Perhaps there were some other reasons besides the BK that the credit was denied. I would get a copy of your credit report at www.annualcreditreport.com and review it carefully for errors. If there is something incorrect, fixing it requires contacting the credit bureaus. See FTC website for more instructions: http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0155-free-credit-reports Don't fall for "fix your credit" gimmicks.
It is there for 10 years. You can not lawfully have it removed. There are companies who claim they can do this, it is a scam.
The bankruptcy is a public record which remains on your credit report for 10 years. Frankly, it is not something most potential lenders will know about since they only look at your FICO score. So work to improve your credit score and don?t waste time trying to erase a public record.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
    All bad credit notations show on your credit report for 10 years and then should drop off. Most people can qualify for a credit card mere months after receiving their discharge.
    The Law Office of William Waldner | William Waldner
    About 15 months after discharge my chapter 7 clients usually see substantially improved credit scores. It is at the 15 month mark that I recommend pulling your credit report and seeing if adverse items are properly shown on your credit report. If you see something that shouldn't be there you should start the dispute process with each bureau reporting the adverse item.
    John W. Lee, P.C.
    John W. Lee, P.C. | John W. Lee
    Typically, a Bankruptcy will remain on your credit report for 10 years.
    The Law Offices of Ryan F. Beach, PLLC
    The Law Offices of Ryan F. Beach, PLLC | Ryan Beach
    Chapter 7 remains on a credit report for 10 years. Chapter 13 remains on a credit report for 7 years.
    Bensamochan & Poghosyan LLP | Eric Bensamochan
    Bankruptcy is considered to be a public record, and as such, will remain on your credit for 10 years.