Do I need to copyright my music? How? 7 Answers as of May 08, 2015

I am an aspiring musician. Should I get my music copyrighted before I pass it on to other people in the business? Do I need to protect it before I give it to a producer or director?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Roe Law Firm
Roe Law Firm | Theodore M. Roe
Yes, you should copyright your music. It is inexpensive and registration offer you protection that being unregistered does not. There are several types of copyrights you might need. Feel free to contact me for a free consultation and I can give you a quote once I have more information.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 5/8/2015
Entertainment Law Partners
Entertainment Law Partners | Tifanie Jodeh
It is imperative that musicians copyright their music. The application forms on the copyright website are very easy to fill out and there are several instructional videos found on YouTube. But, it always best to have an attorney prepare the submission to be 100% sure it's done right.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/29/2015
Law Offices of Robert Burns
Law Offices of Robert Burns | Robert Burns
You should either throw caution to the wind or hire an entertainment attorney before you do anything. Don't expect to have to spend a lot of money on your attorney; do expect to lose everything otherwise. I am a musician, songwriter, and poet myself.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/30/2015
Hugan Law | Christopher Hugan
You copyright your music by registering the work with the United States Copyright Office. It is your choice whether or not to register your work before pitching it. Obviously, registration gives you the best protection. Pragmatically, registering every work can be expensive and time consuming. In Nashville, many publishers and songwriters do not register their works until they have a solid hold or a cut.
Answer Applies to: Tennessee
Replied: 4/24/2015
The Law Office of Aaron M. Schlossberg, P.C.
The Law Office of Aaron M. Schlossberg, P.C. | Aaron Schlossberg
Filing for federal copyright protection is a process you may or may not want to undergo depending on the circumstances and your goals.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/24/2015
    Sebby Law Office
    Sebby Law Office | Jayne Sebby
    Any piece of original work fixed in a permanent medium is automatically protected by U.S. copyright law. You don't need to do anything to obtain protection. However, many people also register their work with the U.S. Copyright Office (Library of Congress) to give public notice that they own the work and to be eligible for attorney fees should they need to go to court when someone violates the copyright. It costs under $50 to register and is a fairly easy process. Whether you register your work or not, you should always include the copyright symbol (C in a circle), the name of the copyright owner, and the date on the work or the packaging of the work. If you send the work out to others for consideration, you should get them to sign a document indicating that they acknowledge that the work belongs to you and they have no right to it without your written permission.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 4/24/2015
    Lawyer for Indie Media
    Lawyer for Indie Media | Sue Basko
    You can register U.S. Copyright on your songwriting and sound recordings easily on the Copyright dot gov website. Be sure you are on the dot gov website and not on the dot com or any other sites, since those are for-profit businesses. Yes, you should register copyright.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 4/23/2015
Click to View More Answers: