Do I need to copyright my music? 2 Answers as of August 19, 2010

I am an aspiring musician. Should I get my music copyrighted before I pass it on to other people in the business? Do I need to protect it before I give it to a producer or director?

Law Office of Bert W Gieseman Jr
Law Office of Bert W Gieseman Jr | Albert W. Gieseman Jr.
You own the copyright upon the creation of your work (song). I recommend to my clients that they register their copyrights with the US Copyright Office, especially if they plan to record, circulate or otherwise use their copyrights.
Law Offices of Juan Dotson
Law Offices of Juan Dotson | Juan Dotson
It depends. Do you want the whole world to know you wrote this song? Generally yes. Do you only want the money? Generally no. If your plans are to give your music away free, you do not need to copyright your work. You do not need to speak to an attorney. If you are giving your music or ideas to anyone in the entertainment industry for any other reason, you should first talk to an attorney.