Do I need to continue pay for my sons insurance cost now that he is over 18? 1 Answers as of April 12, 2011

Do I need to continue pay for my sons insurance cost now that he is over 18? He is in college. I am referring only to the actual monthly cost of the insurance through her employer not the incidental charges that we split.

The answer lies in your custody/support orders. The standard language is that you have to pay health insurance for as long as you are obligated to pay child support. Make sure the orders for insurance has that statement, and if so, do you still pay child support? The default rule is that once the child is both over 18 and out of high school child support terminates and subsequently the obligation to reimburse her for insurance along with it.

BTW - the obligation to pay half the uninsured medical cost also is attached to the same support rules. In other words, while you as a parent may choose to pay for medical insurance and co-pays, etc. if the duty to provide medical has terminated you are not required by law to pay anything (common law is that once the child is 18 and moves out, a parent is no longer legally obligated - moral obligations are another story).