Do I need to complete a course that includes a debt repayment plan or can I just take the credit counselling only? 14 Answers as of August 15, 2014

I am filing for Chapter 7 bankruptcy myself. I am about to take the pre- filing course. In in Middle District of Florida.

Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law
Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law | Christiaan van Niekerk
You only have to do the credit counseling.
Tokarska Law Center
Tokarska Law Center | Kathryn U. Tokarska
You are required to complete the pre-bankruptcy credit counseling course. Whether the agency creates a repayment plan depends on the details of your financial situation. I don't recommend filing bankruptcy without an attorney unless you know what you are doing.
LAW OFFICE OF DAVID A. KUBAT
LAW OFFICE OF DAVID A. KUBAT | DAVID A. KUBAT
You should probably check with your local bankruptcy court to see if they require a debt repayment plan. In Washington, where I am, only the counseling certificate is required.
You need to do both classes. Do the Financial Management course after you file, but before your Creditors' Meeting.
EDWARD P RUSSELL | EDWARD P RUSSELL
You need only to obtain a credit counseling certificate that must be filed with the bankruptcy.
    Stuart Jon Bierman  Attorney at Law
    Stuart Jon Bierman Attorney at Law | Stuart Jon Bierman
    Usually, there is no debt repayment plan in a chapter 7 but you do have to take a second course that has a similar name to that idea. The second course is sometimes called the Debtor Education class.
    Only the credit counseling course is required.
    If you are taking the pre-filing class, the decision as to whether or not you need a debt repayment plan or not is one that will be made by the company providing the class. If the credit counselor indicates that you need a debt repayment plan, you may not be eligible to file a Chapter 7...which is why proceeding into bankruptcy court without an attorney can be very expensive.
    In Nevada unless you qualify for an exemption, you have to take the personal financial management class after you file the bankruptcy or you do not get your discharge.
    You only need credit counseling. Debt repayment plans are are rip off.
    You take that class before you file bankruptcy and you will take the 2nd class after you file.
    The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu
    The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu | Mengjun Qiu
    Just the pre filling course. Then there is another one called financial management course after filling.
    You have to take the post counseling also.
    Steele, George, Schofield & Ramos, LLP
    Steele, George, Schofield & Ramos, LLP | Alan E. Ramos
    You must take the pre-filing credit counseling course in order to file the bankruptcy petition. You must take the post-filing debtor education course in order to receive your discharge (the whole purpose for filing the bankruptcy). I recommend to my clients that they take the post-filing course within one week of the filing, so it is done and out of the way. You then must file the certificate with the court (if the course provider does not file it for you).