Do I need to change my green card status if I got married? 6 Answers as of July 18, 2011

I am a Green Card holder, I got married December of last year. Do I need to change my status in my Green Card and Passport?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
If you have changed your name it is recommended to get a new PR card and new passport in your married name. If you are eligible for citizenship soon you may want to wait and take care of this as part of that process.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/18/2011
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
No your marriage does not affect your green card status
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/15/2011
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
There is no need to change unless you changed your name.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 7/15/2011
The Jarrett Firm, LLC
The Jarrett Firm, LLC | Patrick Jarrett
If you had a green card prior to getting married, your marriage does not impact your status. If that is the case, you will not need to change your status in any way. If, on the other hand, you obtained your green card on the basis of the marriage and you have a 2-year conditional resident card, you will need to file an I-751 petition to remove conditions 90 days prior to the expiration of your two-year green card. If you are unsure of your status, feel free to contact me. Best wishes.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 7/15/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
No you do not. You are still a green card holder as you were before.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/15/2011
Click to View More Answers: