Do I need to be present in court if my husband filed for full custody and we live in different states? 12 Answers as of January 07, 2014

Papers say I need to be back there on January 24th.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC | Annette M. Cox
Yes. You can hire an attorney to appear on your behalf and they can file a motion for you to appear telephonically. You should consider consulting an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Arizona
Replied: 1/7/2014
The Davies Law Firm, P.A.
The Davies Law Firm, P.A. | Robert F. Davies, Esq.
Before you do anything, please talk to a divorce attorney in your area. This is serious. These legal issues will affect you and your family for many years. You may cause great harm to yourself and your children, and may lose a lot of money, if you do the wrong thing.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 1/7/2014
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
Yes, you will need to appear.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 1/7/2014
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
The answer that controls this question involves where the children reside. If the children reside with you, you should resist the jurisdiction where has been filed his paperwork. Please meet with an experienced family law attorney to explore your legal options.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/7/2014
Eric Johnson
Eric Johnson | Eric Johnson
Yes, are you kidding? Be there or you will likely lose by default.
Answer Applies to: Utah
Replied: 1/7/2014
    John Russo | John Russo
    There is your answer, the court has ordered you to appear if you fail to do so you will be defaulted, and the court will grant him all reasonable relief.
    Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
    Replied: 1/7/2014
    Law Offices of Lauren H. Kane | Lauren H. Kane
    Yes it is imperative that the court assess your demeanor among other things.
    Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
    Replied: 1/7/2014
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    If not you, then your attorney. If the order requires you to be there, your attorney might be able to arrange for you to attend by phone.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 1/7/2014
    Simpson Law Office, PLLC | Alexander J. Simpson, III
    You need an attorney in the state where the custody action is pending. There may be grounds to challenge the jurisdiction of the Court, or to have the case continued to another date. If you were properly served and fail to appear, things could go very badly for you.
    Answer Applies to: Mississippi
    Replied: 1/7/2014
    Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
    If you want custody f your child/children, you absolutely, without question, need to either be in Court or be represented by an attorney. If the documents say you need to be back by the 24th to return your children to that jurisdiction then you absolutely must be.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 1/7/2014
    Milligan, Beswick, Levine, & Knox LLP
    Milligan, Beswick, Levine, & Knox LLP | Stephen P Levine
    Check with the court you may be able to appear via "Court Call" which is a service that you must pay for.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/7/2014
Click to View More Answers: