Do I need to be present at my divorce hearing? 10 Answers as of July 24, 2013

My wife is the petitioner. All the papers have been signed and there is no contest. Must I attend the hearing? Thank you.

Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
If you have signed off on the final Decree, and you are comfortable with that, you need not be present.
Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law
Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law | Gregory T. Buckley
Generally speaking, if there is a full Settlement Agreement and/or a Parenting Plan, only the Petitioner is usually required to attend the final hearing.
No but do so at your own peril , you will be defaulted and she will get just about anything she ask for. Lets say you have a pension due you and she says I want it all she may just get it.
Glenn Milgraum PC
Glenn Milgraum PC | Glenn P. Milgraum
In NJ - You need not attend, but you may wish to be there just so that you can make sure that the only result is that the expected agreement is adhered to by your soon to be Ex and the Court.
If all of the papers have been signed, why is there a hearing. The judge could sign on the stipulation of the parties.
    WARM SPRINGS LAW GROUP | Elliott D. Yug
    Best advice is to be present.
    Webster & Associates | Anita Webster
    In Nevada there wouldn't be a hearing if the case is uncontested and the parties have both signed and agreed on everything.
    Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
    It depends on the Judge, usually you do not have to attend if all paperwork is in order. Best to call Judges office to find out their policy.
    Catchick Law, PC
    Catchick Law, PC | Matt Catchick
    You likely do not HAVE to attend, but I would strongly recommend you do so, to ensure everything goes smoothly. I know it's a hassle to wait in court for your case to be called, but you will be very glad you went in case there are any issues.
    STEPHEN LINDEN | STEPHEN LINDEN
    No, in Michigan only the party that filed the original complaint for divorce must attend,but make sure you have reviewed and signed off on the final Judgment of Divorce.