Do I need to apply for a visa to enter the US? 3 Answers as of January 17, 2011

I'm an Spanish citizen planning to travel to the US for tourism (not for more than 30 days). I have criminal record for Driving Under the Influence (DUI) since may 2009. Do I need to apply for a VISA or, given that Spain is a country member of the Visa Waiver Program, the ESTA will be enough to travel and enter into the US? Furthermore, if I get a Visa now, will I always need to get a Visa during my lifetime to travel to the US?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
You can use the ESTA! If you are not approved for any reason then you would try applying for a tourist visa at the consulate.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/17/2011
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
You can try ESTA but are likely to need a visa and possibly a waiver. If your criminal case is still ongoing then this is not likely to be granted.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/10/2011
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
No. A simple DUI doesn't prevent you from coming to the U.S. as it does not make you inadmissible. If asked at the port of entry, you do need to tell them about the arrest and conviction but it shouldn't prevent entry. A conservative approach would be to bring a copy of the disposition. Note a DUI does make you inadmissible to Canada.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 1/7/2011
Click to View More Answers: