Do I need to answer YES or NO when asked Have you ever been convicted of a crime? (for misdemeanors) 1 Answers as of December 15, 2010

Do I need to answer YES or NO when asked Have you ever been convicted of a crime? (For misdemeanors)

I have several from 7 years ago in the state of Iowa. I am applying for my Montana teaching certification. I do not want to have to answer YES if I can answer NO.

Law Offices of Scott G. Hilderman
Law Offices of Scott G. Hilderman | Scott G. Hilderman
The key word in your case is conviction. If you plead guilty, were found guilty or plead no contest and were sentenced then you have been convicted and if asked on an application whether you have ever been convicted of a crime you would need to answer yes. However, if you received a deferred sentence or a deferred prosecution and the case against you was discharged then you were not convicted because a person is only convicted when the sentence is final, that is when the sentencing has been done by the judge.
Answer Applies to: Montana