Do I need someone to be there when I go to court for animal control? Posted on July 27, 2011

I live in LA county California and recently a new ordinance was passed which amended County Code Sections 10.37.020. 10/37.040 - 10.37.150. The changes now require an Administrative Hearing to be held by Animal Control officers rather than a judge. An appeal can be filed within 5 days if the defendant would like their case heard by a judge after the Admin Hearing. My question is whether a defendant is allowed to bring a lawyer to the Administrative Hearing with Animal Control? I tried to read through the ordinances and it looks to me like labeling a dog "vicious" is now handled in a manner similar to being charged with a DUI/DWI. Essentially, go through the motions of the Admin Hearing, file appeal then go to see a Judge 6 months later.