Do I need a patent attorney? 4 Answers as of July 28, 2011

I am creating a metal iPhone case unlike any on the market. Do I need a patent attorney to patent it before I sell it so no one steals my idea?

The Law Offices of Mark Trenner
The Law Offices of Mark Trenner | Mark Trenner
It is wise to speak with a patent attorney whenever there is a possibility of an invention. Patent attorneys can provide guidance specific to a particular situation. Patent attorneys can also discuss whether an invention might be best subject to a utility patent application (for function), a design patent application (for ornamental appearance), or both.
DANIEL NESBITT | Hasse & Nesbitt
Yes, you ought to retain a patent attorney to prepare and file a patent application on your invention, and be sure to obtain a good prior art search. It's possible to file the patent application.
Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
Rhema Law Group
Rhema Law Group | John D. Tran
Yes, if unique in appearance, you might be able to obtain a design patent on your product. If it has some utility functionality (e.g. it open or closes differently or protects the iphone in a different improved way), you might be eligible to obtain a utility patent from it. You need to set up a meeting with a patent attorney and have them look at your product and advise you on the best options for your invention.