Do I need a new copyright for my song? Posted on September 13, 2010

I co-wrote a song that we are re-recording to give it a more global presence, because we will be utilizing this song to promote various projects associated with the United Nations' "Water for Life" project. The "Water for Life" project is an initiative that the UN is undergoing to improve access to safe drinking water and improved sanitation in third world countries.

We are simply working to assist in promoting the efforts of the UN. A well known musician has agreed to hire a world renown band and vocalist to record this song and give us the opportunity to have the song performed at the General Assembly of the United Nations' MDG Awards in December 2010. The MDG Awards honors some of the humanitarians that has given above and beyond - two of the recipients are Oprah Winfrey and Sir Richard Branson.

We would like to re-arrange the song and change some of the lyrics. Do I need to apply for a new copyright? What other questions do I need to ask before we commit to the recording? He is asking for a 50% deposit this week. Please respond at your earliest convenience. Thank you in advance.