Do I need a license to license out my provisional patent? 2 Answers as of March 23, 2011

I have a provisional patent, can I list and license it outright or do I need something? Also how can I introduce my innovation to large beverage companies? Is there protocol I should be following?

DANIEL NESBITT
DANIEL NESBITT | Hasse & Nesbitt
Licensing of technology and know-how, and licensing of patent rights, are distinct though intertwined matters. The provisional patent application can be licensed as-is, though the one-year term of the provisional application must be watched carefully. Most large companies won't entertain "cold-call" proposals unless patent applications have already been filed. Any specific advice on what steps you might take will be dictated by the specifics of your technology and patent position.
Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
You will likely be unable to license the provisional. The provisional only lasts for 12 months.