Do I need a F-1 or B-2 visa for a summer class on my trip to the United States? 5 Answers as of December 15, 2010

I plan to tour the United States over the summer and I want to take a summer class at a college while I am there. Do I need a F-1 visa or is a B-2 tourism visa okay?

If it is an incident to your travel plans under your B-2, and is not done in pursuit of a degree program in the university or college, then temporary enrollment is acceptable. Contact the International Student Office at the college where you will attend for more information.
You need to check with the school where you plan to attend this class.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.
Hi,

Are you from Europe? Citizens of some countries can have 90 days visa waiver. If not, you can get a B1 visa, tourist visa to tour USA. The key thing with immigration is honesty. You have to be honest with USCIS. There is visa for any purpose anyways.

Good luck!
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
Touring the US is fine with a B2, however if you desire to enroll in classes or a class a student visa is required.
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
The F-1 is for full-time academic studying. The B-2 is to be a tourist. It appears that you want to be both at the same time. Pick one over the other.