Do I need a lawyer to get a paternity test? 13 Answers as of August 10, 2011

Do I need a lawyer to get a paternity test? The mother and I were never married. There is uncertainty whether the child is mine. I have paid for many pregnancy costs.

Law Office of Roianne H. Conner
Law Office of Roianne H. Conner | Roianne Houlton Conner
Different States have different requirements. Contact a California attorney with your question.
No lawyer is need for the testing. Contact your doctor or a local health clinic to get a referral for the test. You may be wise in hiring an attorney if you are the father. The attorney can protect your legal rights with filing a paternity petition to establish you as the father and to develop an appropriate timeshare with the child.
Law Office of Daniel B. Rubanowitz, APC
Law Office of Daniel B. Rubanowitz, APC | Daniel B. Rubanowitz
You do not need to hire an attorney in order to get a paternity test, although hiring one will help point you in the right direction. Call Long Beach Genetics, UCLA or use Google to find other paternity testing locations near you. Good luck.
No, but you will need the mother's consent to have the mother and child tested. If she won't cooperate, you will probably need a lawyer to help you file the necessary paternity case in which you can have a court order that paternity testing be done. Since you don't indicate who is living in California and who is in Colorado, it isn't possible to give you any more specific information.
Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C.
Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C. | Paul A. Eads
I think it would make things easier on you. What more could one want then a tour guide to walk you through the process.
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
    First, you mention the State of California in your email. I do not practice in California, and, therefore, really cannot tell you much of anything about California law. Be that as it may, I would guess that if you, the mother, and the child all went to a genetic testing lab, asked them to do a paternity test, and paid them money to do it, they probably would, and mail the results out to you and the mom in a few weeks. If the mother is unwilling to go along with this, then, you are probably going to have to hire a California attorney to push the issue through the court system.
    Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq.
    Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq. | Jeffrey Lawrence Pollock
    Although I only practice in PA, not CA, one should not need a lawyer to get a paternity test. Just request the test if and when you get sued for Child Support.
    ROWE LAW FIRM
    ROWE LAW FIRM | Jeffrey S. Wittenbrink
    If the baby's mother will not agree to a paternity test, then you will undoubtedly have to sue her to obtain one, unless she files against you to receive child support or applies for public assistance and assigns her rights to the State. In that instance the court will order you to have a test whether or not you want one, and you won't need an attorney.
    Lewis, Pfanstiel & Williams, PCLO
    Lewis, Pfanstiel & Williams, PCLO | Ryan J. Lewis
    You do not need a lawyer for this.
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law | Gary Moore
    You need to hire a California attorney to go to court in that state and sue for a paternity test.
    Law Office of James Lentz
    Law Office of James Lentz | James Lentz
    If your only question is whether the child is yours, many laboratories conduct private paternity tests today. If you are looking to prove something in court and don't want to pay for a paternity test twice, consult a lawyer.