Do I need a attorney to collect from my accident? 32 Answers as of June 01, 2015

I was involved in a bad car accident and was hospitalized and have to do the long treatment program because of it. I do not trust their insurance and want to make sure I get what I deserve.

Novakov & Associates, PLLC
Novakov & Associates, PLLC | LINDA S. NOVAKOV
Then you should seek a good attorney to discuss the merits of your case.
Answer Applies to: Kentucky
Gregory M Janks, PC
Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
You can represent yourself or you can hire counsel. If you represent yourself, you need to be sure to obtain proof of the policy limits that cover the claim (this includes any primary policy as well as any excess policies) so you know what amount of $ is available to resolve your claim (any tortfeasor remains liable over and above insurance limits, but collectability can be a problem in such an instance). Then you need to be able to articulate what your damages are and what amount of $ will reimburse you for your damages (this is difficult to know without experience in handling similar claims). The insurer will typically look at "specials" (the amount of provable economic costs as a result of the crash, such as wage loss, medical bills, property damage, etc.) to get an idea of how big or small the claim is. You may want to either hire an experienced lawyer or do a search of verdicts/settlements in your jurisdiction re: similar claims. Then factor in that any resolution without counsel will give you all the $ and any resolution with counsel will require paying the attorney expenses and agreed to fee. Only you can then decide if with the pool of available money, and your familiarity/lack of familiarity with the value of your case, suggests hiring counsel or not. As a lawyer I should probably tell you to definitely hire counsel, but if there is a very small policy, and your damages are very big, you may be better settling for policy limits without an attorney (as long as you don't leave any limits "on the table" and do find out if there are any excess policies available and collect on them as well to the extent they exist)?
No, but it may help.
You are right not to trust the insurance co.; they will pay as little as possible. An independent study showed that claimants did better with an attorney even after fees.
While you don't have to, it's always a good idea.
    There's no question in my mind that you would benefit from retaining an experienced personal injury lawyer. While no law requires you to hire a lawyer in order to press your claim, it's almost always very much worth the investment for you to do so. Good Luck. And my best wishes for a swift recovery.
    You don't have to have an attorney to collect, but if you don't get one, you might get jipped. It is the job of an experienced injury lawyer to know the value of a case. Seriously consider consulting one. Good luck.
    Ankerholz and Smith
    Ankerholz and Smith | Rian F. Ankerholz
    Insurance companies have trained claims adjusters who have the job of disposing of claims as inexpensively as possible for the company. Most injured people do not know the fine points that maximize the compensation paid for automobile accident claims. Consult an experienced personal injury lawyer in your area. We are here to help.
    Utah Injury Lawyer
    Utah Injury Lawyer | Will Rodgers
    In order to get the best result you can, yes. Immediately get an injury lawyer to represent you as he will make sure your rights and interests are protected and help you get your medical bills paid and get you the best financial compensation you can get.
    Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo
    Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo | Mark Leonardo
    If it?s that serious of an injury then by all means you should hire an attorney. The attorney will take the case on contingency which means he or she does not get paid until the end of the case when it settles or when the money is collected from a judgment. If you try to handle this on your own, the insurance company will certainly take advantage of your inexperience.
    Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
    You need to speak with a Georgia personal injury attorney quickly and quit talking with the insurance company, that could affect your claim. Good luck.
    No you don't need a lawyer. Except, someone who represents themselves has a fool for a lawyer and a fool for a client. So if you represent yourself, I can guarantee you will get what you deserve, but not in the way that you expect.
    Goodgame Law, LLC
    Goodgame Law, LLC | Jeffrey L Goodgame
    You should definitely consult an injury attorney. The insurance adjuster's job is to give you as little money as possible while the attorney's job is to get you as much money as possible.
    You answered yoru own question: you don't trust the insurance company, nor should you. They are not your friends and their job is to pay you as little as possible. Seriously, this is a tricky business and there is no room for do-it-yourselfers. You would be up against professional insurance people, lawyers who know what they're doing and rules upon rules upon rules that you don't know anything about. If you retain a lawyer you will be much more likely to get the right result.
    Law Office of Lisa Hurtado McDonnell | Lisa Hurtado McDonnell
    I would recommend it. The insurance company has no incentive to give you a fair settlement. If you are not knowable they can take advantage of lack of knowledge of what a fair settlement is.
    If you do not trust the other insurance company, obviously you have to get an attorney because who else is going to be able to tell you if they are being fair with you. Talk to several personal injury attorneys and see what they can do.
    Law Offices of Carl L. Brown | Carl L. Brown
    Insurance companies discourage legal representation. They prefer not to play on a level playing field. If you suffered serious injuries, you should consult with an experienced personal injury attorney.
    End, Hierseman & Crain, LLC | J. Michael End
    You will be better off getting a personal injury lawyer to represent you in your claim. The insurance company will not pay you the real value of your claim. A personal injury lawyer will know exactly how to present your claim to the insurance company, and will know how to evaluate your claim so that you will get fair value for what happened and for all of your losses.
    Law Offices of Robert Burns
    Law Offices of Robert Burns | Robert Burns
    So, hire an attorney.
    Gregory S. Shurman, LLC
    Gregory S. Shurman, LLC | Gregory S Shurman
    You should consult with at least one attorney.
    The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
    The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
    Well, you're on the right track, not trusting insurance companies. They're definitely not on your side. Their interested in paying out the least amount of money, period. I'm a little confused by your question did you pursue a lawsuit against the other driver's insurance company (third-party benefits), or are you going against your own (first-party benefits)? If you clarify and give a little more detail, I'll try to help.
    You know you need representation. Do it.
    Matthew D Kaplan LLC
    Matthew D Kaplan LLC | Matthew D Kaplan
    You do not have to have an attorney to collect but if you are injured I highly recommend you hire one.
    Lloyd H. Thomas III P.C. | Lloyd H. Thomas III
    While you don't need absolutely need an attorney to reach a settlement, I think that you would be well served to retain one, given the severity of your injuries. Why let the insurance company tell you what your case is worth?
    Pius Joseph A Professional Law Corp. | Pius Joseph
    If you have sustained the type of injury you described , please hire a personal injury lawyer without any further delay. The lawyer can help you get what is rightful and that you deserve.
    Michigan Auto Injury
    Michigan Auto Injury | Bret A. Schnitzer
    You should definitely consult with an attorney.
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC | Stephen R. Chesley
    You do not have to have an attorney but it is advisable, If the case cannot be settled legal action may have to be taken, and a lawsuit instituted. If you want to maximize your case a lawyer who specializes in personal injury should be retained.
    Law Offices of Tanya Gendelman, P.C.
    Law Offices of Tanya Gendelman, P.C. | Tanya Gendelman, Esq.
    Yes, we can help, it's very important for you to hire a lawyer who is experienced in car accident cases.
    Jules D'Alessandro | Jules D'Alessandro
    YES!!! You absolutely need an attorney in any serious accident case. Insurance companies are not required to tell you what you are entitled to for compensation. If you don't know how to calculate damages you will never ever get what you deserve. We do these calculations all day every day.
12 3 4 5 6 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney