Do I need a lawyer if I want to move to a different county and keep child custody? 3 Answers as of June 21, 2011

I already have a custody papers that I can't move out of the Victor Valley, Ca area. Because of the economy and no jobs up here I would like to move to Riverside County. Dad visitations are Tues, Thurs 6-8pm which he hasn't used since she was 2 or 3. She is now 11. Dad also has every other weekend and we share holidays. Would I be able to get permission and would I need a lawyer. Dad is very hard to deal with could he make it hard for me because of his weekday visitations he doesn't use?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Warner Center Law Offices of Donald F. Conviser
Warner Center Law Offices of Donald F. Conviser | Donald F. Conviser
The week end and holidays visitations make it more difficult. You would best retain an experienced Family Lawyer to represent you in an Order to Show Cause seeking court approval of your move-away request.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/21/2011
Diefer Law Group, P.C.
Diefer Law Group, P.C. | Abel Fernandez
You are not required to have an attorney, but you will have to file a motion and get court permission for the move.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/14/2011
The English Law Firm
The English Law Firm | Robert English
Move away cases are very tricky. You would likely need an attorney. Moves can be granted to the degree that they are not specifically designed to frustrate the visitation of the other parent and are in the best interests of the minor child. Your case depends a great deal on the specific facts.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/14/2011
Click to View More Answers: