Do I need a lawyer if I am being sued for a personal injury? 28 Answers as of June 10, 2013

I drove my brother to a convenience store to get needed items, he got mad attacked and injured a stranger and is now serving time for that crime. I am now being sued by the injured man claiming that i was negligent because I knew he had a history of violence. There are also accusations of us going out in a "joint venture" to attack the general public and being on drugs and/or alcohol which are all false. I cannot find a lawyer to represent me.

Dearbonn Law Offices
Dearbonn Law Offices | Ajibola Oluyemisi Oladapo
You may be able to find a lawyer to prove that you drove your brother to a store for the sole purpose of grocery shopping and that there was no intent on your part to commit any crimes at the scene. however, if you knew your brother had a history of violence and did not take extra care precautions in that regard, you may be adjudged the proximate cause of the man's injuries and be liable in negligence.
Law Office of Dewey N. Hayes, Jr., PC
Law Office of Dewey N. Hayes, Jr., PC | Dewey N. Hayes
yes, 1st need for you or your atty to send copy of suit to your home owners insurer, your car insurer & possibility other policies like3 umbrella coverage . the insurers should retain lawyers to defend you- you may be exposed to excess verdict & need representation t-0o examine that question as well.
Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo
Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo | Mark Leonardo
It sounds like a bogus claim to me. You might consider turning it over to your car insurance carrier or your homeowners insurance carrier if you have one or both. If there is coverage, they would hire and pay for a lawyer on your behalf. If you actually get sued by the stranger, you should get an attorney to defend you. Not sure why you cannot find one so long as you are willing and have the ability to pay for an attorney. But you should first exhaust the possibility of whether you have any insurance coverage.
Allen Murphy Law
Allen Murphy Law | W. Riley Allen
Yes, you do. But, the allegations are serious and the defense is likely to be expensive. It will depend on whether you can afford a competent lawyer.
E. Ray Critchett, LLC
E. Ray Critchett, LLC | Ray Critchett
Generally, if you are being sued by another party who has an attorney, it would be wise to consult with an attorney of your own. It may be possible to defend yourself; however, there are many different time lines that you must adhere to and other tactics that can be used against you if you are not represented. I would recommend consulting with an attorney about the case as soon as possible.
    Daniel Hoarfrost, Attorney at Law
    Daniel Hoarfrost, Attorney at Law | Daniel Hoarfrost
    If you are a homeowner, your insurance will have liability coverage and they will provide an attorney.Otherwise, you'll have to retain your own attorney or consider filing a bankruptcy.
    David Hoines Law
    David Hoines Law | David Hoines
    you can defend yourself if you had auto insurance at the time the insurance company will defend you.
    You need to find an attorney to represent you and I would suggest that if you have auto insurance, that you file a claim with them first.
    The Law Office of Josh Lamborn, P.C.
    The Law Office of Josh Lamborn, P.C. | Josh Lamborn
    If you are being sued you should definitely have a lawyer to represent you. Even if a lawsuit is ridiculous the other side will win if you do not follow the procedural rules. Call the bar association in your area and ask if they can point you to a low cost defense attorney with whom you can consult.
    Sounds like you ran into a crazy. Maybe that is why you cant get help, Surely for an appropriate fee you can get help. Let me know if I can refer you.
    Patrick M Lamar Attorney
    Patrick M Lamar Attorney | Patrick M Lamar
    You do need a lawyer. I would contact attorneys that are more oriented toward criminal defense.
    LT Pepper Law
    LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
    It is a good idea to get a lawyer. This situation might be cleaned up with a lawyer involved.
    Law Office of Russell D. Gray, PC
    Law Office of Russell D. Gray, PC | Russell D. Gray
    If you have homeowners insurance, you may have insurance coverage. You should check with them first. If there is coverage, the insurance will provide an attorney to you. If there is no coverage, you probably still need an attorney, but you will have to pay the attorney yourself. Without an attorney it is likely you will lose the case and have a large judgment against you.
    Wilson & Hajek, LLC
    Wilson & Hajek, LLC | Eddie W. Wilson
    Try legal aid if you can't afford a lawyer. If you can afford a lawyer try a lawyer referral service.
    Bloom Gates Sigler & Whiteleather, LLP
    Bloom Gates Sigler & Whiteleather, LLP | Matthew Shipman
    You should try and turn in the complaint to your car insurance agent. There may be coverage through your car insurance for this loss. Either way, I would get an attorney though to ensure that your rights are protected.
    Yes, in my opinion, you should find a personal injury or trial lawyer in your community to represent you. Good luck!
    Have you tried contacting your homeowner's insurance and reporting the lawsuit to them? Or your car insurance? If a lawsuit has been filed against you, you definitely need a lawyer to represent you. If neither your homeowner's insurance nor your car insurance will cover you, ask them who they recommend to represent you, but be prepared to pay at least $100 an hour for that lawyer.
    Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates
    Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates | Lyle B. Masnikoff
    I don't see many attorneys taking your case unless you pay them by the hour which may no be worth it.
    If you have homeowner's insurance you can see if they will provide counsel.
    Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A.
    Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A. | Christopher J. Roberts
    You should try to find a lawyer to help you. If you had insurance, your insurance company may pay for a lawyer. Make sure to talk to your insurance company if you have one. If you did not have insurance and you cannot afford an attorney, you may try to contact legal services in your area.
    Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC
    Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC | Lacy Fields
    Yes, you will need an attorney to represent you. They will likely charge by the hour.
    If you own your home and have homeowners' coverage or general liability coverage, then put them on notice of the claim against you. I would recommend you find counsel. However, generally, the claim against you sounds speculative. Stay well.
    If you do not own a house or other real estate, you might not need an attorney. You would be what we sometimes call "judgment proof". They may get a judgment against you, but you have no property from which they could collect. You should file an answer to the suit if you decide not to hire a lawyer. You can do this by simply making a written statement setting out which paragraphs of the lawsuit you agree with and which ones you disagree with. For example, "the Defendant admits paragraphs 1,2 and 3, The Defendant denies paragraphs 4,5 and 6." Sign the statement , file the original with the court and send a copy to the attorney. It is best to hire an attorney. You should check with you auto insurer and homeowners insurer as to whether your insurance covers this. If it does, they will hire and attorney. If not , if you offer to pay a fee, you should be able to find an attorney.
    Howard W. Collins, Attorney at Law
    Howard W. Collins, Attorney at Law | Howard W. Collins
    Do you have any type of homeowner's or renter's insurance? They may be obligated to prove defense counsel for you. Otherwise you will need to pay a lawyer to defend you in this civil suit. It will be an expensive process. If you cannot afford to hire a lawyer, you may need to consult with a bankruptcy lawyer to see if this type of charge can be discharged in bankruptcy. You are in a very difficult predicament.
    Garruto & Calabria, LLC
    Garruto & Calabria, LLC | Andrew F. Garruto
    You may not have to pay for a lawyer yourself. If you have car insurance and/or renters/homeowners insurance, contact your insurance companies to see if they will provide you with a defense (pay for a lawyer to defend the claims).
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    Do you have home owners or other insurance that might provide a defense? Do you have any money or assets that could pay a judgment? Maybe Legal Services Corporation can help provide a defense? Or call Bar Associations in your county to see if they have a reduced fee list.