Do I need a lawyer for my second DUI? 54 Answers as of June 11, 2013

I crashed my car in February with a B.A.C of .20. This is my second offense. It’s only obvious that this has become an issue, and I started going to AA meetings and therapy about it. What am I looking at for a 2nd time offense? My court date is on May 20th 2011.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Clifford Clendenin & O'Hale, LLP
Clifford Clendenin & O'Hale, LLP | Locke T. Clifford
Yes, you need an attorney because you are exposed to mandatory jail time if you get convicted.
Answer Applies to: North Carolina
Replied: 6/13/2011
The Law Firm of David Jolly
The Law Firm of David Jolly | David Jolly
You absolutely need an attorney for a second DUI. You need one for a first DUI. But in your case a second DUI with a high BAC and an accident spells trouble. You have a tough case and you need help, now.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/27/2011
Law Offices of John Carney
Law Offices of John Carney | John Carney
The fact that you would ask that question leads me to believe that you are young and do not really know a lot about life. If you had DWI and were given a break and have decided to drink and drive again the DA and court will believe that you are selfish, reckless, and a danger to others on the road. You are very likely to cripple or kill another motorist and they will take your license and revoke your privilege to drive a motor vehicle. You may have to go to drug court for a year or be sentenced too alcohol counseling. AA is fine, but courts want to see proof that you are not drinking, using drugs, or driving. If you violate drug court provisions or violate probation you will be given a jail sentence. If you are arrested for another DWI it will probably be a felony charge which could carry a state prison sentence of up to 4 years. I hope you will get help to overcome your drinking problem and some day get your license back, but in the future please realize that when you get into a car and drive drunk you risk the lives of many other innocent men, women, and children who should not have to be injured or killed because of your selfish ans reckless behavior. I'm sorry if the truth hurts, but it is only truth can can help people, not prayers or gentle advice. You need professional help and you need to act in a mature, responsible, and ethical fashion. Drinking and driving is like firing a loaded gun at a passing train and hoping that no one will be hit by the bullets, good luck.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/16/2011
Palumbo and Kosofsky
Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
Yes, you need an attorney for your second DUI.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/9/2011
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC | Lacy Fields
It will depend in part on the status of your first DUI; i.e. are you still on probation? Keep in mind that you may have to simultaneously deal with the new case as well as a probation revocation on the old case. Also, your blood alcohol being so high will influence what offer the prosecutor will make.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 5/3/2011
    Thomas J. Tomko Attorney At law
    Thomas J. Tomko Attorney At law | Thomas J. Tomko
    Whether or not you go to jail is a matter of the Court you are in and can be affected by how your case is presented. It is always better to have an attorney represent you in this type of case. Your BAC is quite high, and may contribute to the likelihood that you will go to jail for a period of time. (between 5 days and 1-year, depending on your Court and Judge in Macomb, Oakland, Wayne Counties). However, in some Courts, jail can be avoided. You are on the right track with AA and therapy. An Alcohol Assessment by the right person would also help. My best advice is for you to retain an attorney. If in Macomb, Oakland or Wayne, you may contact my office to discuss hiring this office to represent you. I look forward to your call.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 5/2/2011
    Andersen Law PLLC
    Andersen Law PLLC | Craig Andersen
    Absolutely. You are looking at jail time and you need the help and skill of a criminal attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 5/1/2011
    Law Office of Cotter C. Conway
    Law Office of Cotter C. Conway | Cotter C. Conway
    A second offense for DUI can have serious consequences in the State of Nevada. The penalties include 10 days in jail, $900 plus in fines & fees, lengthy counseling, attendance at the Victim Impact Panel, and revocation of driving privileges for a period of one year. And then there's the risk of a felony for the third offense in a seven year period. Contact me for a free consultation.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 4/28/2011
    Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly
    Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly | Brendan M. Kelly
    On an aggravated second offense you are looking at a sentence of 90 days to one year, 1 to 15 year loss of license and up to a $1000 fine. You need a lawyer!
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 4/29/2011
    Edward  D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law
    Edward D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law | Edward D. Dowling IV
    This response is general information only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. If your 2nd conviction is within 10 years of the first, it is a felony and depending on the details of the first such as whether it was a felony and what your BAC was then, you could be looking at serious punishment in terms of potential incarceration ( over 1 year by definition for felony) especially with a high BAC. You definetely should hire an attorney to get the best plea bargain or go to trial.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 4/29/2011
    Bristol & Dubiel LLP
    Bristol & Dubiel LLP | Murray L. Bristol
    It depends if someone was seriously injured whether it would be a felony DWI. If no serious injuries, then it would be a Second offense: the maximum fine increases to no more than $4,000.00 and/or jail from 30 days to one year, and a possible driver's license suspension ranging from 180 days to 2 years (Class A Misdemeanor). I would always recommend getting an attorney to handle a criminal case.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 4/28/2011
    Law Office of Richard Williams
    Law Office of Richard Williams | Richard Williams
    4-27-11 I can not advise you on whether you need to hire an attorney that decision is one you have to make on your own. The penalty for a second time DUI, in Alabama, is a fine of not less than $2,100 nor more than $4,100. You could receive not more than one year in the Metro jail. You must receive, as a minimum five (5) days jail time or two hundred forty (240) hours of community service. In addition you driving privileges are suspended for a period of one (1) year.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 4/29/2011
    Law Offices of Dennis Smith
    Law Offices of Dennis Smith | Dennis William Smith
    The prosecution will likely try to increase the usual penalties because of the accident and the high blood alcohol. As there is potentially a broad range of consequences, a lawyer could help you minimize the damage.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/29/2011
    Austin Legal Services, PLC
    Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
    It's a good idea to retain an attorney. Second offense DUIs carry more severe penalties including vehicle forfeiture. Only an experienced DUI attorney can thoroughly evaluate police and lab reports for deficiencies that can reduce or dismiss your charges. Too much is at stake and the process is too complicated to do it alone. A good attorney will more than pay for himself in terms of what he can save you in way of fines/costs, license sanctions, vehicle immobilization, higher insurance premiums, etc.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 4/28/2011
    Michael Anthony Wing, P.C.
    Michael Anthony Wing, P.C. | Michael Anthony Wing
    Yes, you need a lawyer. You are doing the right thing by attending AA to address the underlying problem, and that may pay off in reducing the sentence in the end. The second conviction results in mandatory jail time of 48 hours or 30 days community service. You are subject to up to a one year sentence. Get a lawyer. Stay well.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 4/28/2011
    LynchLaw | Michael Thomas Lynch
    No, you don't need a lawyer for your second DUI, or any charge. Can you benefit from hiring a lawyer? YES. You mention a "crash" in your post, was anyone hurt? A DUI with injury could be filed as a felony, greatly increasing the potential sentence. Even if not filed as a felony you would still be facing a year in county jail. Consult with a lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/27/2011
    Bloom Legal, LLC
    Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
    Second Offense DWI penalties can be very serious in Louisiana and you should certainly consider hiring an attorney. Since your BAC was above .15 you will have to spend at least 96 hours in jail even if you manage to have the rest of your sentence suspended. The penalties for Second Offense DWI in LA are as follows: -Jail time of up to 6 months -Driver's License Suspension for 1 year -Fines of up to $1000 and court costs If you are seeking legal representation in this matter in Louisiana, we invite you to contact our firm at the information on this page for a free case evaluation.
    Answer Applies to: Louisiana
    Replied: 4/27/2011
    Law Office of Phillip Weiser
    Law Office of Phillip Weiser | Phillip L. Weiser
    An attorneys help with a second DUI could be beneficial to you. The penalty for a second DUI is a range of jail time from 5 days to 12 months, and fines from $1000 to $2500. There are possibilities that an attorney could help to negotiate a sentence range closer to the minimums, although the exact sentence will be at the discretion of the Judge.
    Answer Applies to: Kansas
    Replied: 4/27/2011
    Nelson & Lawless
    Nelson & Lawless | Terry Nelson
    You certainly face potential jail and fines, so handle it right. Effective plea-bargaining, using those defenses, could possibly keep you out of jail, or at least dramatically reduce it. Go to trial if it can't be resolved with motions or a plea bargain. Not exactly a do it yourself project in court for someone who does not know how to effectively represent himself against a professional prosecutor intending to convict and jail you. If you don't know how to do these things effectively, then hire an attorney that does, who will try to get a dismissal, diversion, reduction or other decent outcome through plea bargain, or take it to trial if appropriate. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. Ill be happy to help use whatever defenses there may be.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/27/2011
    Law Offices of Scott G. Hilderman
    Law Offices of Scott G. Hilderman | Scott G. Hilderman
    You should have a lawyer for any DUI. You are looking at at least a week incarceration, a suspended sentence, alcohol treatment, possibly alcohol monitoring, and a fine. Your BAC is high; however, there are many defenses to a DUI and one or more of them may apply to you which would improve your negotiations with the prosecutor and may even make an acquittal possible.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    Replied: 4/27/2011
    Theodore W. Robinson, P.C.
    Theodore W. Robinson, P.C. | Theodore W. Robinson
    Hello, YES, you need an attorney on your 2nd DWI, especially with such a high alcohol reading together with an accident, both of which are aggravating factors. I was in court just today with a simple refusal, an aggravating factor, without any accident, on a first offender and the Nassau County DA's office wants the client to serve jail time for it. Get the idea? With a second DWI, you definitely need to have an attorney represent you. You will be facing a recommendation of jail time, so you need help.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 4/27/2011
    Sharifi & Baron
    Sharifi & Baron | S. Yossof Sharifi
    YES. You're facing real jail time now. Get a lawyer that focuses on DUI's. They are very scientific and technical and few criminal defense lawyers are adequately trained to handle them correctly.
    Answer Applies to: Utah
    Replied: 4/27/2011
    Benari Law Firm
    Benari Law Firm | Arik T. Benari
    You absolutely need an attorney. If this is in PA, you're looking at sentencing guidelines of 90 days to 23 months in jail. If this is PA or NJ, I would suggest contacting me immediately.
    Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
    Replied: 4/27/2011
    Beaulier Law Office
    Beaulier Law Office | Maury Beaulier
    You would be very wise to hire counsel. A second DWI is serious enough, but a second DWI with a blood alcohol content above,.20 is extremely serious and may result in lengthy jail sentences. If you had a Blood Alcohol Content over .20, or if you have a second DWI within 10 years of a first, you were charged with a third degree offense. This is very serious and carries with it maximum criminal penalties of one year in jail and a $3000 fine. If convicted there are also mandatory minimum penalties of $1000 and 30 days in jail. Different Judges give different sentences. As a result, understanding your Judge and knowing how to change Judge's can be an important part of the process. There is also a civil case that results in the revocation of your driver's license. On a third degree offense, you may be revoked for up to six months. This is a separate case even though the challenges are largely the same. In order to challenge you license revocation, you must seek a judicial review by filing a petition within 30 days of the offense. There are also additional consequences to a conviction including skyrocketing insurance rates, plate impoundments and sometimes vehicle forfeitures. There are many challenges to a DWI. Officers must follow very specific steps as part of the arrest. If any one step is missing, the case may be dismissed.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota
    Replied: 4/27/2011
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
    There are three aggravating factors here: - 2nd offense -High Blood Alcohol - Accident. There is a danger a judge will impose a jail sentence. You should hire a lawyer that can find a way around the jail. For more info or a fee quote call.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/27/2011
    Law Office of Daniel J. Larin
    Law Office of Daniel J. Larin | Daniel Larin
    You should never go to court without a lawyer. Every lawyer I know would not represent themselves in any legal matter. In the case of a OWI 2nd, you have too much to lose to not have a lawyer look at your case with an eye towards getting it dismissed. Just because you were caught and charged does not mean the prosecutor has a good case. Further, even if the case is not dismissed a lawyer can talk for you at sentencing to possibly lessen the severity of the sentence. A 2nd OWI in 7 years will cost you your driving privileges for a minimum of 1 year and potentially for the rest of you life. At the very least request a court appointed attorney if you cannot afford one.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 4/27/2011
    Goolsby Law Office
    Goolsby Law Office | Richard Goolsby
    Yes, you definitely need to retain a criminal lawyer to represent you in your case, and should hire him or her as soon as possible.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 6/11/2013
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
    Yes you need an attorney. You are facing mandatory jail time; possible enhancements with the accident and high BAC; and license suspension.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/28/2011
    The Boerst Law Office
    The Boerst Law Office | Bruce Boerst
    Yes. There are many sever penalties that come with a second OVI conviction.
    Answer Applies to: Ohio
    Replied: 6/11/2013
    Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider
    Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider | Peter Goldscheider
    You are looking at a mandatory loss of your license for at least one year and a jail sentence. You definitely need an attorney. You also have only 10 days to request a hearing from the DMV regarding your possible license suspension. You should do so immediately if you have not yet hired a lawyer by that time.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/28/2011
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    In my opinion you definitely need a lawyer for a second DUI offense, especially if the alleged BAC is over .20. You are facing serious penalties and a lawyer can help, including required jail time (possibly work release) and drivers license loss.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 4/28/2011
    Lori C. Obenauf LLC
    Lori C. Obenauf LLC | Lori C. Obenauf
    Yes, you need a lawyer for your 2nd DUI. Penalties for 2nd conviction within 5 years, based on date of arrest to date of arrest, include: Fine: $600 -$1,000, Imprisonment: 90 days to 12 months (all except for which 72 hours may be probated if the judge so chooses), Community Service: Minimum 30 days Community Service, DUI Alcohol or Drug Use Risk Reduction Program: Clinical evaluation / completion of substance abuse program if indicated, Probation: 12 months less any time served by actual incarceration, License Suspension: 3 years, but may be reduced to 18 months with proof of DUI school, Interlock device may be required.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 4/28/2011
    Harden Law Offices
    Harden Law Offices | Leonard D. Harden
    Assuming in NH, yes as there are serious mandatory minimums involving jail, license loss and fines. Get the best lawyer you can in the locality you were arrested. Ask police, lawyers, people in community who is best. Contact the best local lawyer who handles exclusively criminal charges, ask the lawyer the last time they tried a dwi and won, what special training they have to handle dwi, defend chemical tests. The lawyer should also be a member of NACDL, state criminal organization, national college of dui defense. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: New Hampshire
    Replied: 4/28/2011
    Law Offices of Carl Spector
    Law Offices of Carl Spector | Carl Spector
    You should, absolutely be represented by an attorney for a DUI, whether it be or first or most certainly for a second offense. You have significant legal rights to protect and an enormous amount of potential legal consequences at stake. If you are convicted in New York of a second DWI / DUI the *second* conviction will result in the following potential penalties: 1) If the second DWI / DUI conviction is with in ten years of the first, your case may be enhanced and prosecuted as a felony in Supreme Court. You would then be facing enhanced penalties of a maximum of four years in prison and, 2) If the second DWI / DUI is within five years of the first, you may be sentenced to five days of mandatory jail or 30 days community service and/or, 3) Your drivers license will be revoked for a minimum of one year and, 4) You will be required to install and maintain an ignition interlock device at your expense and, 5) Be ordered to pay fines ranging from $1,000 to $5,000
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 4/28/2011
    Rothstein Law PLLC
    Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
    You definitely need a lawyer. You don't say what the outcome of the first case was so I don't know if you are being charged with a misdemeanor or a felony but either way, the prosecutor will hold the first one against you in deciding whether or not to make you an offer. You also don't say what County you are charged in. Some counties have a no-plea policy. Finally, .20 is very high b.a.c. so depending on the County and given that you crashed, I would not be surprised if the DA seeks jail. You need to get an experienced criminal defense attorney. I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and have prosecuted and defended many DUI cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me if you wish to retain counsel.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 4/28/2011
    The Law Offices of Mark Kotlarsky
    The Law Offices of Mark Kotlarsky | Mark Kotlarsky
    It depends on the county and the judge. Normally, you a suspended sentence for a second DUI, unless other people are seriously hurt.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland
    Replied: 4/28/2011
    Giannini Law Office, PC
    Giannini Law Office, PC | Robert Giannini
    I believe you do need a lawyer. You are facing some very tough possible consequences, including: a one-year suspension (with no driving permit at all), followed by 6-months with an ignition interlock device on your car, 30 days of community service, 17-weeks of counseling, license plate forfeiture, DUI school, fines, fees, and jail time. How much jail time depends on the court you have to go to. The law requires only 3-days of jail, but with most judges you are facing much more than that. In some courts you could easily be facing 60 to 90 days in jail. So, yes, I think you need a lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 4/28/2011
    Dennis Roberts, a P.C.
    Dennis Roberts, a P.C. | Dennis Roberts
    Without knowing what county you are in I can't tell you what to expect but on a Second you damn well better have a lawyer or Public Defender. Also it is not a bad idea to get into a residential program BEFORE you go to court but check that out with your atty first as every judge is different.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/27/2011
    Law Office of Gary Lazar
    Law Office of Gary Lazar | Gary Lazar
    You ABSOLUTELY need a lawyer. First off, on a second drunk driving, you stand a good chance of getting jail time. Depending on the court you're in, it could be a substantial amount of jail time. A good lawyer who is familiar with the court you are in and the judge you will be in front of will be able to prepare you to appear in the best possible light to the judge. He/she will probably send you for an alcohol evaluation and possibly get you into some type of program before your court date. Having a lawyer also says to the judge that you are taking the matter seriously. If you represent yourself or use a court appointed attorney who you meet for the first time when you show up for your court date, it will end up costing you a lot more money than if you have a good attorney who prepares you for your court date. If you are proactive and prepare, i.e., get into counseling beforehand (just one of many possible activities your lawyer may suggest to help your case) it helps you head off a lot of the activities the judge may normally order you to do. So the question really becomes, do you want to pay for an attorney at the beginning, show up in court prepared and save a LOT of money in the long run, or do you want to save the expense of an attorney and pay possibly 3 or 4 times as much by the time you're through because the judge orders you to do a lot of things that you might not have had to do had you worked with a lawyer at the beginning.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 4/27/2011
    Law Offices of Phil Hache
    Law Offices of Phil Hache | Phil Hache
    I would definitely recommend getting an attorney for this. A .20 BAC is high, and the accident makes things worse. What did you hit? Was there any injury? And if so, was the injury serious? If there is serious injury, it could be charged as a felony.

    You can contact me through my website at to discuss your case in more specific detail. Generally speaking, a second DUI offense charged as a misdemeanor can include up to a year in jail, fines up to $1,000 plus penalty assessment, 18 month alcohol course, 2 year driver's license suspension, up to 5 years probation, and other classes and programs. Additionally, there will likely be an enhancement charge since you have a high BAC, and the accident. I recommend getting an experienced DUI attorney who can mitigate the consequences of this, and potentially get charges reduced or dismissed.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/27/2011
    Law Office of William R. Falcone, Esq.
    Law Office of William R. Falcone, Esq. | William R. Falcone
    Yes, you need a lawyer to help you with this case. An attorney can evaluate the case and even if you plea to the dui there can be big advantages and assistance with representation at sentencing. I know in my jurisdiction you are looking at jail time. I would be negotiating with the DA to see what they will recommend. Then, I would explore in home detention, weekends or work release options. If you go to AA and some impatient rehab you can get 2 for 1 credit for that time. I would also be starting on community service and getting letters of recommendation, etc. So, there is a lot that can and should be done by an experienced criminal attorney. Feel free to call me for a consultation.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 4/27/2011
    Expert Bronx Criminal Lawyers
    Expert Bronx Criminal Lawyers | Alexander Sanchez
    If your first arrest for drunk driving resulted in a DWI - driving while intoxicated as a misdemeanor - then you can now be charged with felony DWI (if your past conviction was in the past 10 years). If a felony, your are facing up to 4 years incarceration, although, probation is also a possibility. A second DWI is serious business. Hire a lawyer as soon as possible to fully prep the matter before your court date.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 4/27/2011
    Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC
    Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC | Rankin Johnson IV
    You absolutely, positively, must have a lawyer. If you can't afford one, the court will appoint one. If you can afford one, bite the bullet and hire one, preferably one who handles a significant number of DUII cases. DUII is kind of a specialty. If you are in the middle, and the court agrees to appoint counsel but you or your family could afford to hire counsel, then meet with your public defender, see how comfortable you feel, and think about hiring counsel if you feel the need. Some of the best trial attorneys in the state are public defenders, so don't assume that the public defender is a bad choice. A conviction is likely to carry a jail sentence of weeks, a fine of thousands of dollars, and a lengthy driver's license suspension.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 4/27/2011
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
    If you just walk into court by yourself and plead guilty, expect the following: A fine of $390 to $1000 with penalty assessment (multiplied by approximately 3-4 times), a minimum of 4 days and up to 1 year in county jail, attendance in a 18 month alcohol program, and installation of an interlocking device for up to 3 years. As a result of the court conviction, the DMV will suspend your license for 2 years, but a restricted license may be requested after 1 year of suspension. Additionally, you will receive 2 points on your driving record.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/27/2011
    Law Office of Kyle T. Green, PLLC
    Law Office of Kyle T. Green, PLLC | Kyle T. Green
    You definitely should seek legal counsel. You are facing significant fines and jail time with a second DUI. An attorney can make sure you make the best decision with regards to a case and ensure that the police followed proper procedures and that the State can prove it's case.
    Answer Applies to: Arizona
    Replied: 4/27/2011
    Law Office of Tracey S. Sang
    Law Office of Tracey S. Sang | Tracey Sang
    Of course you should have a lawyer; this is a serious offense that carries jail time (96 hours in San Diego, $2K fine, 18-month class, possible public work service, loss of license.) If you can't afford a lawyer, you can get the Public Defender. Sounds like you're doing the right things with the meetings and therapy. I would be glad to talk to you for free and discuss your case and any possible defenses. DUIs can be complicated cases that require an analysis of many aspects of the case.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/27/2011
    NOLA Criminal Law
    NOLA Criminal Law | Townsend Myers
    You are allowed to represent yourself on a second DWI, but given the circumstances I would encourage you to at least explore the possibility of hiring a lawyer to assist you. The penalties for a second offense are up to 6 months in parish prison and a fine. Getting involved in AA meetings is a good start, but I think you are going to need the help of a qualified lawyer in your area.
    Answer Applies to: Louisiana
    Replied: 4/27/2011
    Klisz Law Office, PLLC
    Klisz Law Office, PLLC | Timothy J. Klisz
    You are at incredible risk for jail time in many courts in SE Michigan. There is a multi point strategy I employ for second offenders, to best avoid jail. I would highly encourage you to speak to me or another qualified, experienced DUI attorney that regularly practices in the court you are in.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 4/27/2011
    Eversole Law, LLC
    Eversole Law, LLC | Steven Eversole
    A second time DUI is a serious offense. A second offense DUI is even worse.

    On a *second conviction* within a five-year period, a person convicted of violating this section shall be punished by a fine of not less than one thousand one hundred dollars ($1,100) nor more than five thousand one hundred dollars ($5,100) and by imprisonment, which may include hard labor in the county or municipal jail for not more than one year. The sentence shall include a mandatory sentence, which is not subject to suspension or probation, of imprisonment in the county or municipal jail for not less than five days or community service for not less than 30 days. In addition the Director of Public Safety shall revoke the driving privileges or driver's license of the person convicted for a period of one year. I highly recommend you contacting an attorney as soon as possible.

    A skilled and experienced attorney can often mean the difference between mandatory jail time and dismissal of the charges. We regularly handle DUI charges throughout the state of Alabama and I would be happy to answer your questions further. I have also included lots of Alabama DUI Defense information on my website and my Alabama Criminal Defense Blog. Be sure to review one post entitled, "20 ways to beat and Alabama DUI charge." Please feel free to contact me.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 4/27/2011
    Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    You should always have a lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/27/2011
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney

Need more information on drunk driving law? Visit our free DUI resource page to learn more.

If you need immediate assistance, fill out a free case evaluation form to connect with a DUI lawyer in your area today!