Do I need a attorney for a marijuana possesion charge? 6 Answers as of May 21, 2013

I live near Livonia Michigan, this is my first offense and I have never been in trouble ever in my life. I am not sure of the weight but equivalent to a joint. I am unclear of what steps I need to take before my pretrial, if I need representation, I have been told to give a not guilty plea first. I just don't know really how I need to handle this.

I am the Vice President of the Livonia Bar Association and can assure you having an attorney in Livonia is vital, especially a local attorney.
Correct you do not plead guilty since you lose all of your bargaining power. Yes you want a lawyer. That person could possibly work out a deal where you would have no record. A person with a drug conviction can't get Federally insured student loans. That is just one of the problems arising out of a drug conviction.
Douglas M. Philpott, P.C. | Peter J. Philpott
Yes you face license suspension and possible jail time. An attorney may be able to get you a deal where you have no record.
Law Offices of Matthew M. Friedrich, PLLC | Matthew M. Friedrich
There are no guarantees that using a retained attorney will yield a better result but it will add value to the process. You will have an advocate who can review and analyze the case and evidence for you, can speak to the prosecutor and attempt a beneficial resolution on your behalf, and speak on your behalf in open court. Most of my clients tell me that the money they invest in legal fees results in a positive return on that investment!! Fortunately, the Livonia Court is generally a favorable court for criminal defendants.
You will best handle it by retaining a criminal defense attorney. This is a drug charge and will be with you for the rest of your life if not handled properly, get an attorney.