Do I need a lawyer for a divorce? 13 Answers as of July 02, 2013

Law Offices of Jill K. Whitbeck
Law Offices of Jill K. Whitbeck | Jill K. Whitbeck
It is always a good idea to have a lawyer, even in an uncontested matter, as there are so many traps. Those who represent themselves are required to follow the same rules as the lawyers, and are held to the same consequences. Some mistakes can be fixed, although usually at a high cost. Some mistakes cannot be fixed, and are extremely prejudicial. If your spouse has a lawyer, then you are going into a gunfight without a gun. Do not expect the Judge to protect you, as that is not his/her role.
Glenn Milgraum PC
Glenn Milgraum PC | Glenn P. Milgraum
In New Jersey, a lawyer is not necessary. However, using a lawyer is highly advised. If you cannot afford one, call your local court (and/or local law school) and see if there are any "free" services in your area that will assist you in filing for divorce.
Ellis & Abouelsood | John Danelon
You are not required to have a lawyer for a divorce, but it is advisable to retain one to assure you are receiving everything that you deserve, especially if your former spouse is hostile and/or has a lawyer.
Webster & Associates | Anita Webster
It depends. If you have no assets or debts and no children, it should be simple. If you have assets, debts and children you are better off getting an attorney to prepare the documents so you know they are done right. I cannot tell you the number of people I see months to years later who come to me to try fix the mistakes in their DIY divorces. It is much harder to fix later and a lot more expensive than to do right in the first place.
The Cross Firm, P.C.
The Cross Firm, P.C. | Leslie Warren Cross, Jr.
You are not required to have an attorney.
    Malloy Law, LLC
    Malloy Law, LLC | Conor Malloy
    Forgive me for sounding too lawyerly, but it all depends.
    SHAPIRO LAW GROUP | ERIC L. SHAPIRO
    Honestly, it depends. Everyone wants a smooth, uncontested divorce where the parties agree on all terms of settlement. Nobody wants to pay an attorney. However, if you can't agree on settlement terms, at the very least, you should buy an hour of an attorney's time to talk about your options. As a divorce attorney, I am often cleaning up post-divorce problems that could have been addressed before the divorce was finalized.