Do I need a attorney for an embezzlement charge? Why or why not? 13 Answers as of May 04, 2015

I work at a sporting good store and my boss called the cops saying that I have been taking money from the register. Is this going to only be a misdemeanor or a felony? They say I took about $600 dollars over 6 months.

I recommend that you retain an attorney.
Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD
Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD | Mace Yampolsky
An attorney probably get you a better deal. Including possibly getting the case dismissed at the end.
If jail time is not an issue with you, then you probably don't need an attorney. However, if going to jail or the thought of doing jail time is something that concerns you, then you definitely need an attorney. You can be charged with either a felony or misdemeanor depending on the D.A. My advice is get an attorney now.
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
Yes, you definitely need a lawyer. It is a theft charge (crime of moral turpitude) that is a Class A misdemeanor level (so up to 1 year in jail & up to a $4,000 fine.) AND, prosecutors tend to look at employee theft much harder than shoplifting type theft. You need a lawyer.
Law Office of Eric S. Lumberg | Eric S. Lumberg
It is always best to consult with an attorney to review your case, options and potential resolutions.
    Connell-Savela
    Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
    Typically, that amount will not result in a felony theft charge. But, if you admit to it, watch them find more money missing and blame you. You will have a tremendously difficult time every working retail or any job involving money or trust if you plead guilty to theft.
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
    Yes. Because you are accused of a crime. Do you do your own surgery? Do you do your own dentistry?
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    This is a felony and I would get an attorney.
    Natty Shafer Law
    Natty Shafer Law | Nathaniel Shafer
    Yes, you will need an attorney. An conviction for embezzling money from your employer is going to make it extremely difficult to ever find another job. Having a lawyer will give the best chance possible of avoiding that.
    Jefferson and Biggs | Matthew Jefferson
    Might be either but probably a Mis. Get a lawyer.
    You have the right to remain silent. Only idiots talk to investigators/cops. Remember, no matter what you say it will be twisted around and used against you later. Hire a lawyer before you make a wrong move and seal your own fate.
    Law Offices of Stephanie Lee Ehrbright, Esq.
    Law Offices of Stephanie Lee Ehrbright, Esq. | Stephanie Lee Ehrbright
    This will likely be a couple of felonies because they will charge one for each instance they think you took money. You should not speak to the police or your employer without an attorney present. You have the right to remain silent, please use it until you have hired an attorney or are appointed one.
    The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones
    The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones | B. Elaine Jones
    It is a felony. Before you speak to anybody else, you should consult with a criminal attorney.