Do I need an attorney when faced with first offense? 82 Answers as of June 14, 2013

Do I need an attorney when faced with first offense? Can I just go through the process by myself?

Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
If you need specific legal advice for your particular circumstances, I encourage you to privately consult with a lawyer. If you are charged with an offense and cannot afford to pay for your own defense, the court may appoint you an attorney payable at the public's expense. You have a right to counsel. Considering that a conviction for an OUI is a misdemeanor that will stay on your record for a long time, will increase your insurance payments, force you to pay large of amounts of fines, costs, and you could even serve jail time, in certain counties, I would encourage you to either retain a lawyer or request the court appoint you one at the public's expense.
Law office of Robert D. Scott | Robert Scott
You are always free to represent yourself in any legal proceeding. There is a saying in the profession that "one who represents him/herself in court has a fool for a client".
The question of "do I need an attorney" and "am I required to have an attorney" are two very different questions. You are not "required" to have an attorney when faced with a first offense. You have the right to represent yourself. Now, if you are asking if you "need" an attorney, my answer is yes. Its never a good idea to go through any court proceedings, especially a criminal proceeding (DUI is criminal) without an attorney. Remember, traffic offenses stay on your record for the rest of your life.
The Short Law Group, P.C.
The Short Law Group, P.C. | Shawn Kollie
Although anyone has a Constitutional right to represent themselves in any court proceeding, the stakes are very high with an Oregon DUI charge. A DUI is a Class A Misdemeanor with a maximum of 1 year in custody and a $6,250 fine. Most DUI Lawyers will provide a free consultation to sit down and see what their representation could do to help you in these stressful times.
Pingelton Law Firm | Dan Pingelton
Sometimes if you have an attorney, your first offense won't BE your first offense. Meaning, you'll get it wiped clean. Always get a lawyer.
    Law Office of Christopher G Humphrey PC | Christopher G Humphrey
    I would recommend an attorney help you. You usually get better results.
    Answer Applies to: Wyoming
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
    Can you do it yourself? Yes. Should you do it yourself? NO. I cannot tell you how many CORI (Criminal History) sheets I have picked up and been shocked at the disposition of a previous offense and learned that the client didn't have an attorney. You should NEVER be in criminal court without counsel. It is not designed for lay people and whether you have an attorney or not, the judge is not going to give you a break or leniency because you are representing yourself. They will expect you to know the rules of evidence and the elements of charges and every other important issue that they would expect a lawyer to know. You have ONE chance to get this right, don't blow it. Hire a good lawyer.
    You can do this yourself if you desire. I would advise that before you decide to represent yourself, you consult with a DUI attorney to make sure you are choosing prudently.
    Law Office of Ronald G. Draper | Ronald G. Draper
    Mesiti Law | Benjamin Mesiti
    You should get an attorney for any criminal offense, especially for a DUI. There are many elements that must be proven in a DUI case, and a skilled lawyer can assist you in finding ways to obtain a favorable result. Now, if you just want to plead guilty and get it over with, then by all means, represent yourself, but that's like performing your own surgery. After all, you wouldn't take out your own tonsils, right?
    Law Office of Michael E. Dailey
    Law Office of Michael E. Dailey | Michael E. Dailey
    Although you are not required to have a lawyer, you generally will come out a whole lot better if you do have one. Any time you face a potential jail sentence, which you are in a DUI, or loss of your driving privilege a lawyer should be with you. You will wind up paying a lot more in related consequences than the cost of a lawyer.
    You can represent yourself but i do not advise it. You usually do better with an attorney.
    Salladay Law Office | Lance Salladay
    You can do it yourself, but you are probably better off with an attorney
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law | Gary Moore
    You are free to do whatever you want, but it would be wise to at least consult with a dui lawyer BEFORE you go to court.
    The Woods Law Firm
    The Woods Law Firm | F.W. Woods Jr.
    Yes. Whenever you have charges you need the advice and counsel of an experienced attorney.
    LEATHERS LAW FIRM
    LEATHERS LAW FIRM | A. Wade Leathers, Sr.
    I would not suggest handling a DUI by yourself. There are too many things that can go wrong. Consult an attorney immediately and I would suggest that you retain counsel to handle your DUI.
    Vargas Law Office LLC | Ronnie Ismael Vargas
    It depends on the strength of the prosecution's case and whether you feel you are guilty or not. If it is something you wish to contest in Court, you'd be advised to consult6 with an attorney. If you want to simply plead guilty for whatever reason, then handle the matter yourself.
    You can handle it yourself, but you really need a lawyer to insure you get probation if you are convicted. The jail term on a first offense is 7 to 60 days, and a six month loss of your driver's license.
    Conway Law Pllc.
    Conway Law Pllc. | B. L. Conway
    Yes! You better get a good lawyer son. You can get up to a year with a $2500 fine and license suspension. Do not despair we have been doing this for over 20 years.
    The Law Offices of Scott L. Little, LLC | Scott L Little
    You always have the right to represent yourself. However, whether its' a the first offense or tenth offense it is always prudent to have counsel represent you.
    You should always hire legal counsel. A conviction for a DWI lasts for a lifetime. It can affect employment and other things in ordinary life including travel to Canada. There are defenses to the charge, many of which will only become clear after discovery is provided to your lawyer. Even where defenses are weak, your attorney can often assure you of minimal penalties associated with the offense.
    If you do not wish to contest the DUI, and you are satisfied in having a conviction for DUI, regardless of the punishment that may be imposed, you do not have to have an attorney to represent you.
    Hynum Law Office, LLC
    Hynum Law Office, LLC | G. Wayne Hynum
    You can represent yourself without an attorney. However, you will probably get a better result with an attorney.
    Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law
    Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law | Mark Thiessen
    You absolutely need an attorney. The DA will not listen to you. You need to fight a first DWI very aggressively so you don't get caught in the system for the rest of your life.
    Hammerschmidt Broughton Law
    Hammerschmidt Broughton Law | Mark A. Broughton
    You can but you will be at a distinct disadvantage. The chances are good that you will not be able to get as favorable a result in a touchy case yourself as an attorney can. And There are so many things to know, so many consequences to a DUI that you are really taking a risk representing yourself.
    James M. Osak, P.C.
    James M. Osak, P.C. | James M. Osak
    YES! Never take on the system in a DUI by yourself . . . first, second or third offense.
    You can represent yourself, but I strongly recommend against representing yourself on a DUI or any other misdemeanor or Felony. The Judge would likely recommend against it as well. It is just not a good idea to represent yourself as DUI defense and court procedure are both complex.
    Glass Defense Firm
    Glass Defense Firm | Jason M. Glass
    Yes you need an attorney! If you go through without an attorney, chances are you will just be convicted and lose your license as well. Then if you get caught within the next 10 years you can be charged with a second offense. While an attorney may not always be able to prevent the first conviction, he may very well be able to, and you may not get that first prior on your record. Always, hire an attorney! Remember, the man who represents himself has a fool for a client!
    Answer Applies to: West Virginia
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
    First offense of what shoplifting murder. It all depends.
    H. Scott Basham, Attorney at Law, P.C. | H. Scott Basham
    No, you don't need to hire an attorney. But if you intend to fight the charges, it is highly advisable to do so.
    For a first offence in a DUI the court generally has a standard offer. If you are not going to fight the case and your BAC was more than 0.09 then you do not need and attorney. If you are not going to plead guilty at the arraignment or there are enhancements you need an attorney.
    You can always go through the process yourself. However, this may not give you the best result. Can you get the charge reduced? What is the consequence. Will you pay $1,000 per year for 2 years in financial responsibility fees to keep your license? Will it be only $500 per year? Is there a defense? Can the charge get changed to a non-drinking offense? Your decision is much like having a tooth ache. You could diagnose the problem and treat it yourself. But, will you get unanticipated results, like a need for a root canal or having to get the tooth pulled? In many cases no, but in some cases, yes. Which is yours? I personally prefer to go the dentist when I have such a problem. In the same way, I would suggest that you see an attorney for a legal problem. I hope that this was helpful.
    First offense of what? Littering? you can do that. Anything that can result in you going to jail, you should at least talk to an attorney. Most offer an initial free consultation.
    Leonard A. Kaanta, P.C. | Leonard A. Kaanta
    A lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client.
    Bruce Plesser | Bruce Plesser
    I would not advise you do that but yes.
    Remember the old adage: he who represents himself has a fool for a client. The fact is, it doesn't matter if it is a first, second, or third offense. Every case is unique and you should always talk to someone who knows what he/she is doing. Of course you don't need an attorney, just like you don't need a doctor when you're sick (you can always choose to get sicker right?).
    Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN
    Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN | Michael Bialys
    Keep in mind your are not only dealing with the court but also the DMV. I always recommend have your own attorney.
    Law Offices of George Woodworth & Associates
    Law Offices of George Woodworth & Associates | George Woodworth
    You can if you want to just take whatever the DA wants to do to you. The DA doesn't have to help you, or try to understand your side of the case, or do anything to benefit you, or help you get a reduced charge or sentence. Why do that? If you don't have an experienced Attorney look at your case, you will never know if you had a good defense or not, or if you could have avoided jail, fines or loss of license, and other consequences (such as insurance rate increases etc.)
    I would never suggest to anyone that they represent themselves in any court proceedings, especially in a criminal case. Defending on the facts of your case, an experienced criminal attorney may be able to have the charges reduced to a wet or dry reckless. I would suggest that you consult with an experienced criminal attorney immediately or if you cannot afford one, ask the judge to appoint an attorney for you. Good Luck.
    Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
    Yes, you can go through this by yourself. Likewise, if you had a toothache you could grab a pair of pliers and rip that tooth right out of your head.
    Law Firm of Martin & Wallentine
    Law Firm of Martin & Wallentine | Jerry Lee Wallentine Jr.
    Yes! You should absolutely use an attorney. No. Do not handle it on your own.
    Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
    You can go through processes yourself if you so choose and court allows that.
    No. But you need a lawyer.
    The McDonnell Law Firm, PLLC
    The McDonnell Law Firm, PLLC | Patrick J. McDonnell
    You have a Constitutional right to represent yourself. However, in the famous quote from the judge who re-sentenced a defendant who represented himself after appeal and got a more severe sentence, stated to him, " Yes, you do have a Constitutional right to represent yourself. However, if you exercise that right, you have a fool for a client!" GET A LAWYER!!
    Law Office of Robert Sisson | Robert Sisson
    It depends. Did you refuse the breathe or blood draw? Will a conviction unduly affect your life and future.
    Law Office of Russell A. Warren
    Law Office of Russell A. Warren | Russell A. Warren
    As there is the possibility of jail time on these types of charges, most judges will suggest that you retain one. It's not mandatory but advised.
    The Jarrett Firm, LLC
    The Jarrett Firm, LLC | Patrick Jarrett
    It is not advisable to ever go to court without an attorney.
    Darrell B. Reynolds, P.C. | Darrell B. Reynolds
    Anytime you are facing criminal charges you should have an attorney.
    You should always retain a good criminal lawyer to handle any crime that you are charged with. Many people are just too cheap and do not understand how getting a criminal conviction will hurt their chances of getting a job. You should not cut your own hair, drill your own teeth, or perform your own surgery, and you should never walk into a courtroom without an attorney. If you are indigent you will have an attorney appointed to represent you unless it is a traffic violation. Life is about staying out of trouble and making good decisions. Good Luck.
    Abom & Kutulakis, L.L.P,.
    Abom & Kutulakis, L.L.P,. | Jason P. Kutulakis
    If you don't care about your freedom, go right ahead. Criminal cases are very serious and jail time can be quite common in certain offenses without counsel helping you from the beginning.
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    No but it's better to have one.
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
    You absolutely should hire a lawyer because there could be issues that could get the case dismissed or charged differently. Hire a lawyer as soon as possible.
    Gutin and Wolverton
    Gutin and Wolverton | Harley Gutin
    You don't have to get an attorney. But you should get an attorney.
    Yes. It is standard fine etc. But if you are close to .08 often an atty can get you a wet reckless.
    Law Office of Thomas J. Ogas
    Law Office of Thomas J. Ogas | Thomas Ogas
    You don't NEED an attorney for a first offense, or for any offense at all, if you just want to go to court, plead guilty, and accept whatever punishment the judge gives you. You get an attorney if you want: 1) To be sure that you actually did, in fact, break the law. The police may think so, but they may be wrong, or they may not have enough evidence to prove it. 2) To be sure that you aren't getting screwed by the DA or the judge. 3) To get the least serious consequences possible. 4) To make sure that you do everything your supposed to do to get your license back and get your life back on track. An attorney just isn't a guy who goes to court and says my client will plead no-contest. If that's all you're paying for, you're getting ripped off. You're supposed to be hiring an expert to carefully review your case, negotiate your case, and advise you so that you make the best possible decisions in life ... and get the least serious consequences.
    Salberg Murdock
    Salberg Murdock | Jeffrey D. Salberg
    Yes. Penalties are severe. Even on a first offense. A competent DUI attorney may be able to lessen the impact. Consult with an attorney immediately to better understand what you are facing. Most cases are different depending on the facts of the case.
    Without knowing the facts of your case, I cannot say. An attorney gives you the best chance of negotiating a possible deal. The penalties for a DUI conviction are substantial... even beyond the basic minimum penalties.... consiuder - impact on your insurance - loss of license - possible loss of job - alcohol/drug treatment. You really should at minimum consult with an attorney.
    If charged with a criminal offense, one for which you can be jailed, hire an attorney. You should not represent yourself in court, unless the charge is a minor moving violation or similar offense. The consequences of getting found guilty go far beyond going to jail, which you probably will not be facing in any case, but you may get a record that will follow you for the rest of your life.
    Natty Shafer Law
    Natty Shafer Law | Nathaniel Shafer
    Legally speaking, you are allowed to represent yourself. That does not mean it is a good idea, though. A lawyer will be able to spot issues in your defense that are unlikely to occur to a layperson. There may be arguments for keeping evidence out of the trial, but someone inexperienced with the rules of evidence will not know how to keep the evidence out. Also, remember that you have 10 days from the date of the DUI to request a hearing from the DMV to keep your license from being suspended. If you don't request a hearing, your license will be suspended automatically.
    Law Office of Michael Morgan, l.L.C.
    Law Office of Michael Morgan, l.L.C. | Michael Morgan
    You can represent yourself but that is generally a very bad idea on a DUI. If you can't afford a lawyer, a public defender will be appointed to represent you.
    Law Office of James J. Rosenberger | James Joseph Rosenberger
    You can go through the process yourself but nobody in their right mind ought to. If money is an issue you may be eligible for a public defender. Contrary to popular opinion tbey are usually well qualified.
    Rogoway Green, LLP
    Rogoway Green, LLP | Douglas Green
    An attorney is not required but highly, highly recommended. You may be waiving a defense by not having an attorney and proceeding through the process by pleading guilty or entering diversion unless you intend on representing yourself and taking your case to trial (also extremely inadvisable).
    You are always entitled to represent yourself in court. Whether you should is a different issue. The conventional wisdom is that an attorney will be able to do a better job and get a better outcome. Prosecutors and judges don't like dealing with ProPers, unless you are simply pleading guilty, not defending the case.
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    If you want you can handle a DUI case yourself, but it is a good idea to at least consult a lawyer to see if there may be good defenses to the case.
    Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq.
    Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq. | Jeffrey Lawrence Pollock
    As I already wrote, anyone can represent himself, but then he has a fool for a client, as the saying goes.
    Ryan Berman, Esq | Ryan Berman
    You could, but it's not advisable. Sometimes the court will treat you more favorably with an attorney, and an attorney may be able to negotiate a better deal, or find a flaw with the case that you otherwise wouldn't. Getting an attorney is the best course of action if charged, and if anything else is a good insurance policy.
    Benjamin D Gordon, Attorney at Law
    Benjamin D Gordon, Attorney at Law | Benjamin D Gordon
    You *can* go through the process by yourself. That said, DUI defense is highly technical and requires some very specific knowledge to be able to do effectively. I strongly encourage you to seek the representation of an attorney, even for a first offense. The consequences of a DUI conviction are severe and wide-ranging.
    San Diego DUI Law Center
    San Diego DUI Law Center | Rick Mueller
    Yes. Because you cannot represent yourself.
12 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney