Do I need an attorney to get guardianship and order of protection of my disabled daughter? 2 Answers as of June 30, 2011

I need to quickly obtain legal guardianship for my 19 year old disabled daughter in addition to an order of protection from my ex husband. Can I go right to family court or do I need to hire an attorney?

Fredric H. Aaron, Attorney at Law, P.C.
Fredric H. Aaron, Attorney at Law, P.C. | Fredric Harlan Aaron
The Family Court system is set up to assist people who will be appearing pro se (in other words, without an attorney). While I strongly recommend retaining an experienced attorney to assist you with your matter, if you cannot afford one, the clerk at Family Court will be willing to assist you with your application for guardianship and order of protection.
You are much better off hiring a lawyer to take care of those cases for you. There are a lot of potential pitfalls in front of you and it's best to hire a lawyer. Good luck.