Do I need an attorney if I got hurt at work and had to have surgery? 15 Answers as of May 23, 2013

I messed up my knee at work. I went to physical therapy for about a month. It did not help so I went back to the doctor then he said I had to have surgery. I have been missing hours at work plus my overtime. I miss some days because it hurts so bad I cannot get up and walk on it. I got hurt September 4th of this year and I just finally had surgery. December 13, I had to walk on my leg everyday for three months which made it worse. What should I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Behren Law Firm
Behren Law Firm | Scott Behren
You probably want to hire a workers compensation lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/23/2013
W Morris Taylor, PC | W Morris Taylor
Based upon your injuries & apparent non-cooperation of your employer, you should certainly hire an atty to represent your interests to be certain all benefits & recovery for permanency are received.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 12/19/2012
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
Do you need a doctor to treat your injuries? Probably. Do you need a lawyer to handle your worker's compensation case? If you're not a lawyer, the answer is yes.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 12/18/2012
Yes, you need a worker's comp attorney. The insurance company has competing interests whereas your attorney will represent you.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 12/18/2012
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
If you have a permanent injury, you may be able to get a "schedule award" which is based on a formula depending on the extent of your disability and your rate of pay, offset by payments you have already received. But: you should get some advice as to whether the schedule award is your best option. Depending on your situation, you may be better off getting disability payments and having your medical expenses taken care of. Consult with a worker's comp lawyer in your area. A responsible lawyer will tell you whether you need his/her services or not. Generally speaking, if the insurance company is doing the right thing (paying you for your time out of work and covering your medical bills) then you don't need a lawyer. If they cut you off or give you the run-around, then you do. If you are interested in the prospect of a schedule award as described above, then you will need a lawyer for that.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 12/18/2012
    The Law Firm of Stephen M. Reck, LLC
    The Law Firm of Stephen M. Reck, LLC | Scott D. Camassar
    Sounds like you should at least talk to a good workers' comp lawyer near you.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 12/18/2012
    DEHNADI & CONLEY, LLP | Ted Conley
    Were you performing duties required by your employer when you suffered the injury? If so, you should be able to get compensation from your employer. These are usually not highly disputed claims when you were clearly performing your job duties, but an attorney may help to get you through the process and assure you are given the best treatment you can receive, as well as compensation for any lost wages/overtime.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 12/18/2012
    Meyer & Kiss, LLC
    Meyer & Kiss, LLC | Louis J. Meyer
    Did you file a worker's compensation claim?
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 5/23/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney