Do I need an attorney if I am being sued for mental anguish? 21 Answers as of July 25, 2013

I am being sued for mental anguish by my ex fiance's family because he committed suicide. I have a mediation coming up. Should I get an attorney? They are saying its my fault he committed suicide back in 2007

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Riley Law Firm
Riley Law Firm | Timothy Dennis Riley
Yes, you definitely should get a competent attorney, who will protect your interests only. If you have homeowner's insurance, see if you have liability protection. If so, the insurance carrier may be obligated to provide you with a legal defense to this claim.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/28/2011
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
I would think so.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/28/2011
Law Office of Travis Prestwich, PC
Law Office of Travis Prestwich, PC | Travis Prestwich
You definitely should consult an attorney due to the fact that you are being sued. Whether you continue to have an attorney will depend on what advice he/she gives you.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 6/27/2011
The Lucky Law Firm, PLC
The Lucky Law Firm, PLC | Robert Morrison Lucky
Thanks for your inquiry. I am only licensed to provide legal advice in the states of Louisiana and Mississippi. I am not sure what state you are in or the laws which may apply to your case. However, when you are being sued it is always best if you have an attorney who can advise you. If a mediation has been scheduled, then it is definitely best to have legal counsel. Without some additional information, there is not much else that I can advise you on at this time. Please contact my office to discuss further. I am happy to discuss all of the issues with you in more depth. Thanks again!
Answer Applies to: Louisiana
Replied: 6/27/2011
Coulter's Law
Coulter's Law | Coulter K. Richardson
Just because the lawsuit is outlandish does not mean you should not get an attorney. Get an attorney. There is an old saying in the practice of law. It costs just as much to defend a stupid lawsuit as it does to defend a meritorious lawsuit.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 6/27/2011
    The Law Office of Josh Lamborn, P.C.
    The Law Office of Josh Lamborn, P.C. | Josh Lamborn
    If you are being sued and you don't want to settle your case and pay them you definitely need an attorney. From the facts provided here an attorney should be able to get this lawsuit dismissed.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 6/27/2011
    LT Pepper Law
    LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
    It is probably appropriate to have an attorney at this point. He can see if this will go away and provide a buffer between you and your fiance's family to resolve the case.
    Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
    Replied: 7/11/2013
    Law Offices of Steven A. Fink
    Law Offices of Steven A. Fink | Steven Alan Fink
    You definitely need an attorney. There are defenses you have that you may not know about. Their claim may be barred by the statute of limitations.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 6/27/2011
    Law Office of Jared Altman
    Law Office of Jared Altman | Jared Altman
    That sounds absolutely ridiculous to me. Yes. I would hire a lawyer. I don't understand why you are going to a mediation. Did they commence a lawsuit against you already? Have you been proceeding thus far without an attorney? If so, I think that you are making a BIG mistake. Also, the Statute of Limitations on wrongful death cases in New York State is two years. If they haven't sued yet, then they can't. Please note the following necessary legal disclaimer: I have not given legal advice. I only give advice to my clients. I am not acting as your attorney. I have not yet agreed to represent you. Anything I have said is based on limited information and may be subject to change as more facts become known. Attorneys express opinions. Attorneys often disagree. If you want further information or independent verification of anything I have said then you should immediately consult another attorney. Never sit on your rights! I am admitted to practice law in New York State only and cannot practice law in any other State.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 6/27/2011
    Cody and Gonillo, LLP
    Cody and Gonillo, LLP | Christine Gonilla
    If there is some insurance coverage you have they will supply counsel for you; otherwise you would have to hire counsel on your own.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 6/27/2011
    Theodore W. Robinson, P.C.
    Theodore W. Robinson, P.C. | Theodore W. Robinson
    Yes, you do need an attorney to represent you.While a mediation is not necessarily binding upon you, it could lead to a binding arbitration if you loseat this level. Better to win now, by using an attorney then to lose and later regret it. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 6/27/2011
    Magnuson Lowell P.S.
    Magnuson Lowell P.S. | Richard S. Lowell
    You definitely should have an attorney especially if the ex fiancs family has one. Sure it may cost you some money to retain a qualified attorney; but it will likely be a lot less than the cost of trying to handle this on your own.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 6/27/2011
    Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
    Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
    Yes, you should retain an attorney to represent you at the mediation and to adequately state and protect your position.
    Answer Applies to: Indiana
    Replied: 6/27/2011
    Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A.
    Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A. | Christopher J. Roberts
    Yes, you should hire an attorney. The case sounds like one that could potentially be thrown out on legal motion, and you certainly don't want to miss the opportunity to do that. A lawyer can tell you whether the claim is valid under the laws of your state. It sounds very tenuous to me and it is possible you can have it dismissed.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 2/21/2012
    David F. Stoddard
    David F. Stoddard | David F. Stoddard
    You are always better off having an attorney. You do not tell me much about the suit. It sounds a little bit like an "odd ball" case that could be thrown out of court by a judge at summary judgment. If they have an attorney, you are definitely at a disadvantage without an attorney. If you own a house, your homeowners insurance might cover any damages and hire a lawyer for you. If you do not own a house, you may be what we call judgment proof, and a judgment against you may not hurt you too much, plus you could use that to bargain a small settlement in mediation. All of these issues are better handled by an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: South Carolina
    Replied: 6/27/2011
    West law Office
    West law Office | Russell West
    I would advise getting an attorney if being sued and it has progressed to mediation. If there is no basis for the suit an attorney could file a motion to dismiss. I have not dealt with this type of case but it seems like a real stretch that someone else is responsible for an adults suicide. He is the only one who did the final act.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 6/27/2011
    Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo
    Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo | Mark Leonardo
    If you are being sued, you are at risk of having a judgment being rendered against you. Absolutely you should have an attorney. If you own an home and have homeowners insurance, you might see if the carrier will provide you a defense. But you should get an attorney who can do legal research on the viability of bringing a claim against you for someone else committing suicide and if the law supports their claim, you need to have someone represent your interests because a large judgment could obviously wipe you out financially.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 6/27/2011
    Rothstein Law PLLC
    Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
    This sounds like a weak claim against you. Do you have insurance? Did you report it to your carrier? If so, the carrier should assign you a lawyer. If no, you should have a lawyer even if the claim is weak so you are fully protected. If for some reason you lose the case, the judgment in a death case could be huge.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 7/25/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney