Do I need an attorney for my first DWI offense in Michigan? 4 Answers as of June 11, 2013

I got stopped for defective muffler and light out over license plate. At site I blew slightly over .08. Fifty minutes later at station I blew a .20 and .21. Is an attorney necessary on 1st offensive especially when blowing a .20 and .21?

Greco Law Office
Greco Law Office | Dominic Greco
Yes you need an attorney. There are a lot of options that are dependent on the circumstances of this case.
Nichols Law Firm
Nichols Law Firm | Michael J. Nichols
You should definitely retain counsel. The reason for the stop had nothng do with your driving. So, the officer did not see any cues of impairment.

You also may be charged with the so-called superdrunk law because you tested at the station higher than .17.

Feel free to contact me any time over the holiday weekend to discuss further.
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
Yes, I strongly encourage you to retain an attorney. You are presumed innocent until proven guilty. Convictions for these types of offenses are punishable by jail time, probation, fines, costs, vehicle impound, loss or restrictions on your driver's license, and it will impact your driving record for years. Most attorneys provide a free initial consultation. You will also have a right to court-appointed council if you cannot afford to retain someone since this offense is punishable by jail time.
Yes, I think so. Even if it is your first offense, a lot is at stake: possible jail time, license suspension, points, fines, costs, probation. An experienced criminal defense/DUI attorney will have in depth knowledge about the law and procedures and possibly raise arguments or motions that could get evidence suppressed or even the charges dismissed entirely. It is too complicated and too much is at stake to do it alone. I suggest retaining an experienced DUI attorney soon.

Feel free to give us a call for a free, no obligation consultation. We look forward to hearing from you. Have a Merry Christmas and a safe holiday season.