Do I need an attorney for the DMV hearing? 4 Answers as of September 10, 2010

Picked up at a DUI checkpoint in California over the holiday weekend. I had a BAC of .12, was detained overnight, my car impounded, and had to post bail. I have never been in trouble and do not know what to do and am scared about what this will do to my future. Do I need an attorney for the DMV hearing?

Law Office of John Stanko
Law Office of John Stanko | John Stanko
I would suggest you have an attorney for both the DMV hearing and the criminal court case. DUI convictions can have lasting consequences that could effect your future employment and traveling outside the USA.

Call me for a free consultation.
You need an attorney for the court hearing. Most DUI attorneys will handle the DMV hearing also. Do not forget that you have to request the hearing within ten days of your arrest.
Unless you can get it dismissed [unlikely] or win at trial, you will have a conviction on your record that will affect your insurance and employability for years to come. If you do not know how to effectively represent yourself against a DA seeking to convict you, hire an attorney who does. His job will be to get the best plea bargain deal available, file motions if appropriate, or take it to trial if there are reasonable grounds to think you can win.

Keep in mind: When you are arrested for DUI, upon release from jail or booking, you will be given documents that include a notice from DMV that you have only ten days to file a request with DMV for a hearing on an appeal of the automatic one-year suspension of your license. Contact DMV and do so, timely. You can hire an attorney for that hearing if you want. The choice is yours, based upon your ability to represent yourself at the hearing.

If serious about getting counsel for these, feel free to contact me.