Do I lose the car I co-own with my mother if my mother files for bankruptcy? 14 Answers as of May 17, 2011

I own a car jointly with my mother. My mother is filing chapter 7 and she said I have to give her the car back because she needs the money. The trustee believes she is hiding assets. Do I lose my car? it is fully paid for.

Law Offices of Michael J. Berger
Law Offices of Michael J. Berger | Michael J. Berger
I need more facts to answer your question. What is your car worth? Has your mother claimed an exemption for her share of the car? Have you been contacted by the bankruptcy trustee in her case? Please call me for a free consultation if you want me to help you with this matter.
Law Office of Larry Webb
Law Office of Larry Webb | Larry Webb
As the co-owner and co-debtor you should be able to keep the car if you make the payments. You may have to sign a new agreement.
Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
The answer depends on the applicable exemption available in your state. It is possible that the asset may need to be liquidated.
You need to see an attorney, (and not your mother's). If the trustee is claiming your mother is hiding assets, that is a serious matter. It may come down to who paid for the car and when.
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC | Christine Wilton
If you are on title to the car with your mother, you can call the trustee and explain the ownership. Then, if you want to keep the car, you may owe the trustee 50% of the current value of the car that belongs to the bankruptcy estate of your mother at the time she filed her case. Or surrender the car.
    California's Largest Family of Attorneys
    California's Largest Family of Attorneys | Doan Law Firm
    It seems that your mom has unexempt assets in her Chapter 7 Bankruptcy and the trustee is forcing a sale of the car to liquidate the unexempt equity in the car. You may very well lose the car, but should you and your mom have enough money to pay the trustee the amount he/she wants, you may be able to keep it. However, it also may be that your mom's bankruptcy paperwork did not accurately disclose your 50% ownership of the vehicle; thus, it may be protected after all.
    The car that you own Jointly with your Mother will be a part of her Bankruptcy. If you can show that you made the payments and not her, you may be able to convince the Bankruptcy Trustee that the car is really yours and not hers. If your Mother gave you the car within the last year, you may have a problem as it is a transfer to an "insider" of value within one year of Bankruptcy and may be reclaimed by the Trustee. There is a different issue with your Mother claiming she wants you to give her the car back because she "needs the money". This does not sound like the Trustee is asking for the car, but your Mother. You should discuss your situation with an attorney (not your Mother's).
    The answer depends on a couple of things, including whose name is on the title to the car. Give me a call, make an appointment to come see me, and let's get moving on this for you. No charge for the telephone call and no charge for the first office visit.
    Saedi Law Group
    Saedi Law Group | Lorena Saedi
    This will all depend on what state she has filed for bankruptcy and the applicable exemptions available to protect the equity in her personal property. If you are a co-owner of the car then you should consult a bankruptcy attorney in your area about your options. In my experience here in Georgia most trustees are open to working out a "buy back" amount of any equity that a debtor is over in regards to their exemptions.
    Bankruptcy Law Office of Robert Weed
    Bankruptcy Law Office of Robert Weed | Robert Weed
    What happens to the car depends on the state law and the value of the car. If it's worth enough, the trustee can sell it and give you money for your half. (Assuming it's been half your all along. Does the trustee think she transferred it to you just before filing bankruptcy? Then, the trustee is just going to take it back.) What happens to your mother if the trustee thinks she is hiding assets is a lot more serious.
    If your mother filed a chapter 7 case, she no longer has an ownership interest in the vehicle unless and until the Trustee decides not to sell it. Did your mother claim an exemption on the vehicle in her bankruptcy case? If so, it may be protected. If not, the Trustee could definitely sell it. You would still be entitled to 50% of the sales proceeds in any event, but the Trustee could take the car. Or, alternatively, you could offer to purchase the Trustee's interest in the car in order to keep it.
    All assets must be disclosed by your mother. She may be able to exempt the car so that a trustee will not sell it. Do not transfer the car ownership to your mother.
    Law Offices of Steven A. Wolvek
    Law Offices of Steven A. Wolvek | Steven A. Wolvek
    That depends - first if its owned by the two of you it must be disclosed in your mother's bankruptcy. Second - whether you can keep it or not depends whether you can exempt (protect) the equity in the vehicle and her other assets. For that specific answer you need to consult an attorney so he or she can review the assets listed (and unlisted) and check your state's exemptions.
    Law Offices of Michael T. Krueger
    Law Offices of Michael T. Krueger | Michael Krueger
    Your mother may be able to keep the car if she is filing bankruptcy in an opt out state with an exemption high enough to cover the value of the car. It also depends on when she transferred the ownership to you. Bankruptcy trustees will be looking for what is known as a "fraudulent conveyance" of property within 12 months of filing. If your mother gave you have ownership within 12 months of her filing bankruptcy the trustee can order the car placed back in her sole possession to be liquidated.