Do I legally owe my roommate her share of the security deposit? 2 Answers as of July 26, 2011

My roommate and I had an apartment 6 months into the lease we added another roommate. She never asked him to pay a share of the security deposit so he never did. She moved out and we renewed but now she wants her half of the security deposit. She left everything filthy and never cleaned the shared kitchen. We don't get the deposit until we move out but do I legally have to pay her anything?

The Coyle Law Office
The Coyle Law Office | T. Andrew Coyle
It would appear that she gave the security deposit to the landlord so, she should take up her issue with him. Im guessing the landlord will not release the funds until the apartment is vacated. It would seem the best solution would be for the new roommate to pay up of the security deposit, but I dont think he would have any legal obligation to do so at this point.