Do I keep paying alimony if I lost my job? 5 Answers as of October 17, 2010

I got laid off and I am on unemployment now. Do I have to modify my court orders or can I do something else? I am still paying.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Goldberg Jones
Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
You need to modify the court Order. This can be done by written agreement, but it must be properly submitted to the court.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/17/2010
Diefer Law Group, P.C.
Diefer Law Group, P.C. | Abel Fernandez
No, you can file for a modification.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/15/2010
McCunn & McCunn LLP
McCunn & McCunn LLP | Drummond Timothy McCunn
Yes, you must file a motion to reduce your spousal support. We do not have alimony in California.

The reduction of spousal support is based on the later of your date of filing or your unemployment, but you have the duty to file the motion. Otherwise, you will continue to owe the support regardless of your change of circumstances.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/15/2010
The English Law Firm
The English Law Firm | Robert English
You still have to pay spousal support until there is a modification of the order. You should contact an attorney and file for a modification as soon as possible.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/15/2010
Click to View More Answers: