Do I help from another attorney if someone filed my divorce already? 10 Answers as of June 24, 2015

An attorney was paid to file my divorce papers for me two years ago, even though he is not my attorney on record. Even with me calling him constantly, he has not completed the forms required. My simple divorce has to still be finalized, even after all this time since I filed. I have not been able to get a hold of him for almost a month and a half. This is not the first time this happens to me with him. Can another attorney help me?

Law Office of Barton R. Resnicoff | Barton R. Resnicoff
Obviously, as the attorney you initially contacted is not helping, you will need assistance from someone else; however, depending upon what the first attorney and you agreed to, he/she may not be doing what he/she is ethically required to do and may have problems that could be dealt with by the local Grievance Committee.
Yes: another attorney can help you. Your lawyer should be reported to the bar discipline organisation in your state. (In Wisconsin it is called the Office of Lawyer Regulation, and is a branch of the state Supreme Court.) Your new lawyer will probably advise you to fire your prior lawyer in writing and demand a refund. You and your new lawyer can notify the Family Court exactly why you are discharging your prior lawyer, and that you want him discharge by the court and your new lawyer permitted to represent you. (In cases where a lawyer does respond to client communications as s/he should, one of the lawyers would draft a Stipulation for Substitution of Attorneys but your no-account lawyer would probably not sign and return the paper.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
Almost any family law attorney can help you Your old attorney could be grieved.. contact the attorney client grievance commission.
Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
You need to fire the first attorney and hire a second.
Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
You need to consult with another atttorney.?
    Attorney at Law | Aimee C. Robbins
    Yes. You fire your old attorney, get back your retainer and your files and hire a new attorney who will file a substitution of attorneys with the court .
    James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
    I would suggest that you might contact the State Bar fee arbitration office and ask for your money back. And get another attorney.
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida | Dennis J. Leffert, J.D.
    The best and quickest way to move forward with your matter is to file a formal complaint with the Florida state bar against your attorney that keeps dragging his or her feet. Good luck.
    Yes, another attorney can help you. Please contact your local lawyer referral service is through your county bar association to find another family law attorney.
    Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro
    Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro | Gerard A Fierro
    A new Attorney can substitute into your case as attorney of record and complete your divorce action.