Do I have visitation rights as a grandmother in Texas? 1 Answers as of May 19, 2011

Do I have legal visitation rights as a grandmother in Texas?

NO! I get this question a lot, but the short answer is that Grandparent's rights (if you want to call them that) are derived through the GrandParent's children (Ie: Mom and Dad). So, if your son or daughter, or son-in-law/daughter-in-law does not approve of you, and will not let you see the grandkids, you have only two options. 1) make up with son/daughter/son-in-law/daughter-in-law and ask nicely, or 2) go to court seeking court ordered visitation - however, that last option is a last option. You have to have standing, if you have standing, you have to have grounds other than "I miss my grandkids" or "I want to be a grandma/grandpa" - you basically have to prove that not allowing you visitation will hurt the kids. It is a very high bar, almost impossible to get over unless Mom/Dad are unfit or dead. In fact, the legislature is debating a bill right now that will make it even harder for a grandparent and specifies that if you try and loose, you have to pay your children's attorney's fees. This latest change is not law yet, and it may never be, but it passed the house and is in the senate right now.