Do I have a valid case for perjury? 3 Answers as of July 22, 2014

I went to a show cause hearing last week for Friend of the Court. The father (who has never made one payment of support) claims he has not worked since 2011. He also has provided the friend of the Court with a doctor's note stating he could not work from January 2013 to January 2014. This was stated under oath at the show cause hearing. I then presented a letter from a building contractor stating that the father had worked as a subcontractor for him in 2013 and 2014. The father accused this person of lying, so the judge called this contractor and he was sworn in and verified the letter to be true and accurate. The judge stated that he did not believe him and proceeded with the show cause hearing. Now that the support issue is settled, I would like to pursue perjury charges for the father lying under oath. The attorney I talked with at the courthouse stated perjury is a separate issue and it needs to be a separate case. He informed me to go to the prosecuting attorney's office to start the process. When I went to the prosecuting attorney's office, they told me I had to file a complaint with the police department. So, I spoke with the police department and they told me I had to talk to the prosecuting attorney's office. Before I go through this whole charade, I'd like to know if I have a valid case of perjury.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
Yes you have a valid case. However if he is put in prison for perjury then there will be zero chance of getting any money.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 7/22/2014
Law Offices of Ezra N. Goldman
Law Offices of Ezra N. Goldman | Ezra Goldman
Perjury is a crime and had to be origin beyond a reasonable doubt. That the referee didn't believe him doesn't mean he lied. 'You' can not have a perjury case. It is not yours. It is the prosecutor's. You get nothing out of it.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 7/15/2014
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
Maybe you need to step back and ask why you want to pursue it. Your case May be valid, but if you want to pursue, then go back to prosecutor and advise what police told you. He lied under oath at a FOC hearing. Is it worth your time to pursue.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 7/14/2014
Click to View More Answers: