Do I have a US residency if I was born in the US? 14 Answers as of October 01, 2012

I was born in the US but my parents are from another country. I had to go back and live with them until now. If not, how can I gain it?

If you were born in the US and your parents were not diplomats to the US, then you have US citizenship.
Of course you have US citizenship; residency is a lesser status than citizenship. You can come and go to and from the US any way and any time you want by right. You don't need anything other than your birth certificate to go and get your US Passport from the Consulate in the country where you live.
You should be a U.S. citizen if you were born in the U.S. However, it is your burden to establish your citizenship. Assuming you can establish you were born in the U.S., you can request a U.S. passport.
Coane and Associates
Coane and Associates | Bruce Coane
Generally, except perhaps for some children of diplomats, anyone born in the USA is a USA citizen.
Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC
Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC | Michael Lichtenberg
If you were born in the U.S. and have a U.S. birth certificate, you are a U.S. citizen. Within 6 months after your 18th birthday, you should register your claim of U.S. citizenship with a U.S. Consulate or Embassy in your country. You should also avoid service in the armed forces of your country by stating your U.S. citizenship (otherwise, you can lose it). Make an appointment with the U.S. consul, and ask for a U.S. passport.
    Mayo Mallette PLLC
    Mayo Mallette PLLC | Thomas J. Rosser
    If you were born in the United States (to foreign parents) and have a U.S. birth certificate you are considered a U.S. citizen no matter where you currently reside. If you do not have one, you will need to apply for a U.S. passport based upon your birth in the United States. If abroad, check with U.S. Consular authorities about obtaining a passport. As a U.S. citizen you may reside wherever you may choose to do so.
    Katherine Mulvany-Chance, Esq.
    Katherine Mulvany-Chance, Esq. | Katherine Mulvany-Chance
    No, if you were born in the US, you are a US citizen. A 'resident' is a legal term in immigration, usually meaning that someone is here permanently, but not a citizen.
    The Law Office of Khoa D Bui
    The Law Office of Khoa D Bui | Khoa D Bui
    If you were born in the United States you are a US Citizen. Contact the US Consulate close to where you live for applying a US passport.
    Natty Shafer Law
    Natty Shafer Law | Nathaniel Shafer
    If you were born in the US, you should have more than residency, you should have US citizenship. Your birth certificate is proof.
    Law Office of Rebecca White
    Law Office of Rebecca White | Rebecca White
    If you were born in the US you are a US citizen. You may apply for a US passport. Additionally, if you are 21 or over you may also be able to file for immigrant visas for your parents.
    Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC
    Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC | Pho Ethan Tran
    If you have a valid birth certificate showing that you were born in the US, then you are already a US citizen by birth. You just need to apply for a US passport now in order to travel in and out of the country.
    Law Office of Bijal Jani | Bijal Jani
    If you were born in the USA, you are considered to be a natural born citizen.
    The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu
    The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu | Mengjun Qiu
    You're a US citizen if you were born on US soil. You should get a US passport to travel overseas.
    Immigration Attorneys, LLP | Robert R. Gard
    Generally, unless your parents were in the U.S. on some form of diplomatic or NATO visa, it's likely that you are a U.S. citizen by birth, and it is understood that you go where your parents go until you are 18. You can always try to use your U.S. birth certificate and apply for a U.S. passport.