Do I have to talk to the DA if I was not involved with a situation at work? 6 Answers as of August 11, 2011

I made a statement with the attorney generals office for something that happened at work that I wasn't a part of. The people from the attorney generals office showed up at my apartment unannounced late in the evening. When I told them I didn't want to answer any questions at this time they refused to leave, and they were very rude. I answered their questions, and I was as polite as I could be. Now I just got a phone call from them asking me to come down and clarify parts of my statement with the D.A. Am I obligated to go down and talk to them and if I am should I have someone represent me?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Edward  D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law
Edward D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law | Edward D. Dowling IV
This response is general information only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. However, you should hire an attorney to see if you should cooperate or not and if you decide to cooperate then you should have an attorney present when answering questions even if it is just to clarify a previous statement.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/11/2011
Law Offices of John Carney
Law Offices of John Carney | John Carney
You do not have to answer any questions from anyone unless they ask for "pedigree" information such as your name and address. You were manipulated by prosecutors who know how to bully and threaten suspects and witnesses into telling them what they know. You should have just told them to talk to your lawyer (even if you don't have one a lawyer must be appointed if you are a suspect). If you are a witness you are still entitled to an attorney to advise you since you may be an accomplice, or be charged with a crime. If they still insist in interviewing you, and attorney can argue your case to the judge, advise you as to what to say, and protect the Fifth Amendment Rights you so easily gave up to prosecutors who know how to manipulate the average citizen who is ignorant of his rights, the law, and his constitutional rights to remain silent and to not be forced to answer questions without an attorney present. Unless you have committed a crime it will not be a problem, but if you lie to them you will be prosecuted for making a false complaint or perjury. You should consult with an attorney as soon as possible.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/10/2011
Law Office of Jared Altman
Law Office of Jared Altman | Jared Altman
No. You are not obligated to talk to them and you definitely should not if you have any inkling whatsoever that you may be a target of their investigation. Tell them you want a lawyer. Don't back down on that issue and see how they react. That may give you a clue. .
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/9/2011
Expert Bronx Criminal Lawyers
Expert Bronx Criminal Lawyers | Alexander Sanchez
Call a lawyer immediately. It sounds as if you may be the target of an investigation. Also, you don't have to speak to the attorney general or any prosecutor.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/9/2011
Gonzalez Law Associates P.C.
Gonzalez Law Associates P.C. | Carlos Gonzalez
No, you're not obligated and if you have an attorney they legally are bound to speak to your attorney and not you.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/8/2011
    Rothstein Law PLLC
    Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
    You are not obligated to speak to anyone. The A.G. could subpoena you to testify in the grand jury but that would give you immunity as a matter of law. The A.G. could try to convince you to waive immunity (which you should not do) but can't force you to. You should definitely consult with an attorney before going any further. A lawyer needs to advise you on what criminal exposure you may have, if any. The lawyer can also speak with the A.G. and find out what is going on. There are certain civil investigations where the A.G. can subpoena you for a deposition but you may have the right to refuse to answer.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 8/8/2011
Click to View More Answers: