Do I have to still pay child support if my kids have been adopted? 6 Answers as of February 04, 2013

My kids have been in states custody and have been adopted to family and after a few yrs I found out I have to pay child support and going to court over it now and they said if I don’t pay it they are going to put me in jail and I’m 5 months pregnant. I know there is something about it that’s not sitting right.

Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
Back support must be paid. Generally, adoption stops support obligation. The back support may deal with owing the state for state aid if received it at any time.
You do not owe future support after the adoption but you would owe any past due amounts as of the date of the adoption.
You need to talk with an attorney. They may be asking for back child support, or there may be a law in your State that requires you to help the adoptive parents.
If both parents rights were terminated and the children adopted there is no child support obligation.
LAW OFFICE OF ANNE B. HOWARD | Anne B. Howard
If adopting parents are getting cash aid or food stamps etc the county may be coming after you for reimbursement.
    Petit & Dommershausen SC
    Petit & Dommershausen SC | Tajara Dommershausen
    You likely have a child support arrearage from when they were in the state's custody before the adoption. When kids are in foster care, the parents are assessed child support so that the state doesn't have the entire financial burden. This doesn't go away after the termination of parental rights however, new child support is not assessed.