Do I have to speak to a detective about a crime that doesn't involve me? 2 Answers as of August 31, 2017

A friend of mine was murdered. I got a call from a detective who is investigating the crime and he wants to ask me some questions about an incident years ago between my friend and i in an attempt to make him look bad. I wasn't involved in anyway and don't want to be involved now. Do I have to take his call? Can I be in trouble for not answering his questions?

You never have to speak to the police whether you are a suspect or merely a witness. If you believe you are suspected of a crime or the police do not tell you why they are interviewing you, most good criminal defense attorneys advise to speak to an attorney before responding to police questioning. The police may not like it but is your right. And no you cannot get in trouble for not answering questions or not taking a call.
No you don't. You have the right to remain silent. Only idiots talk to investigators/cops. Remember, no matter what you say it will be twisted around and used against you later. You may end up being just the scapegoat they're looking for.