Do I have to show up tocourt for a marijuana infraction? 7 Answers as of May 12, 2011

I have been cited for possession of less than an ounce of marijuana. I currently reside in California. With the new law in place that makes possession of marijuana nothing more than something akin to a minor traffic violation, is it even necessary for me to appear in court, or is it possible for me to just pay the citation?

You should go to the clerk's office or call them and find out what the current policy is on marijuana infractions.
If you receive something in the mail that allows you to pay the ticket then you may do that and not appear. Otherwise, however, you or an attorney must appear to address the case. If you do not, they do not issue bench warrants for infractions, but the matter will go to collections and affect your credit.
You can pay the citation beforehand but it would be better for you to go to court try to get it dismissed or hope that the officer does not appear and the case gets dismissed.
The Law Office of Stacey Wolcott
The Law Office of Stacey Wolcott | Stacey Wolcott
You still must show up to court on your date that is on your ticket. You signed the ticket promising to appear on that date. At that time the judge can offer you an infraction and you can plead guilty and pay your fine.
Go talk to the court clerk to confirm you dont have to appear if you pay. It depends on how the citation was written.
    Law Office of Evan E. Zelig
    Law Office of Evan E. Zelig | Evan E. Zelig
    I would contact the court clerk in the county where you were cited for more information about his. If it is an infraction being handled through the traffic division you may be able to pay without going to court. However, if it was cited in the criminal courts and you were given a "notice to appear" you will generally need to go or have an attorney appear on your behalf.
    Call the clerk of the appropriate court but I think you can just pay the $100 and let them forfeit it.