Do I have to show that I filed my taxes on my Chapter 7 bankruptcy meeting? 17 Answers as of February 24, 2014

When I show up to my Chapter 7 bankruptcy Trustee meeting, do I have to show them that I filed my taxes, or just that I had them prepared by my tax person before filing them?

7 days before the Creditors' Meeting, you have to provide the Chapter 7 Trustee with copies of both Federal and State Income Tax Returns for the prior year, or you case can be dismissed. The Trustee may want to see copies of 2013 tax returns, but you can wait until April 15th file those returns, and provide copies of same to the Trustee then.
Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
The meeting date is not a deadline but you need to provide a copy of the signed and filed returns.
Law Office of Marlin Branstetter
Law Office of Marlin Branstetter | Marlin Branstetter
You are required to provide the trustee a copy of your last filed tax return 8 days prior to the meeting. If you have not filed for 2013 and the trustee feels, based on the return you have provided, that a refund is likely he may hold the case open until you file the return and may take the refund if you have not exempted it in the petition
I doubt that you will get away with not filing them. Are you trying to avoid turning the refund over to the trustee.
It does not matter who prepared them. You must give a copy of the 2012 tax return (or 2013 if done) to the trustee 5 days before the hearing.
    It depends on when your 341 Trustee meeting takes place. If on or after the due date, you may expect to be asked whether the return was filed. At any rate, what is the reason for the delay in mailing in the return? If you owe taxes, mailing the return in early will not affect your liability.
    They want filed tax returns, not what you intend to file.
    Meister & McCracken Law Firm, PLLC | Joanne M. McCracken
    You must submit your most recent tax return to the trustee prior to the 341 meeting. If you are entitled to a refund, that must be disclosed and exempted.
    Answer Applies to: Arkansas
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson | Lynnmarie Johnson
    You have to be current and provide the trustee with a copy of the last year you filed. So if you haven't filed 2013, you give them 2012.
    Deborah F Bowinski, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Debby Bowinski
    If you have a lawyer you should address your questions to him or her. You must bring copies of your tax returns if they have been prepared. If they have not yet been prepared expect to be asked to send them to the trustee as soon as they are done. If you are expecting tax refunds you may be required to turn over some or all of the money to your trustee. Hopefully, you properly claimed any exemptions to which you may be entitled in order to protect as much as possible.
    Law Offices of Marc Weinberg | Marc Weinberg
    You MUST provide at least 7 business days before the hearing a copy of your last filed tax return or provide a declaration that you have not filed taxes and give the reason. Each Trustee has their limit on how many days before the hearing the tax return must be received. Check with your Trustee. If you just show up with a tax return, the probability is that your hearing will be continued.
    Garner Law Office
    Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
    The requirement is to provide a copy of the last tax returns you actually filed. If they haven't been filed yet, you should be honest with the trustee and say that they were prepared by a professional and are ready to file. The trustee has to ask about the taxes and any potential refunds, but it's the IRS or the state revenue people who will object to your discharge if you aren't current on your taxes. If it looks like you're making a sincere effort to get current, they will not object. If they have serious concerns, they might file a claim in your bankruptcy case which could turn into an objection if you don't pay attention and deal with it. The main purpose of the tax return requirement is to enforce tax compliance, because many people who don't pay their bills don't pay their taxes either. This is very serious business with very serious consequences if you try to play games. The trustee and the tax people expect you to step up to your responsibilities as an adult. If you don't take them seriously, you could find yourself in prison. Remember, that's how they finally got Al Capone!
    There is no requirement you have your taxes filed for Chapter 7, however it is definitely desirable as it can answer trustee questions before they arise.
    You have to show the Trustee that you filed your 2011 and 2012 federal state taxes. 2013 is not due until April 15.
    Law Offices of Eric W. I. Anglin
    Law Offices of Eric W. I. Anglin | Eric W. I. Anglin
    You have until April 15th to file your taxes and you will likely need to provide copies of the returns that you file to the trustee.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
    You must give the trustee a copy of your last 2 years filed tax returns. If you haven't filed for 2013 yet, the trustee will want to see it. If you are getting a refund, the trustee may want to take it. If you haven't used your $1,000 wild card exemption or if it is a earned income tax credit you can exempt it.
    Law Office of Morgan L. Place (MP Law Office) | Morgan L. Place
    If you have filed your taxes, bring the copy of the taxes filed. It's the most recently filed taxes.