Do I have to show taxes when I file for citizenship? 6 Answers as of June 14, 2011

I am Australian and married to an American for 7 years and have my green card. I am applying for citizenship and don't have taxes for 4 years previous. I do have last year. Do I have to file taxes for years I don't have an income? Will no income affect me becoming a citizen.

Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
If you did not work, you did not have to file tax returns. No income will not affect citizenship. I have been in practice in the immigration field for more than 40 years. I have handled cases with experience, integrity, and good effect. Please call me to discuss your case. The assigned number for your free case evaluation: 0613d. We offer payment plans with no interest.
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
No income will not affect you becoming a citizen. But, why would you have not filed taxes? If you are married, you should be filing jointly with your husband. One of you must be making money. You could have a problem, but more information is necessary. You should not file for naturalization before speaking to an immigration lawyer.
You need to show you have complied with all applicable Federal and state tax requirements. If you are not required to pay taxes or file taxes, get a letter from your tax preparer to show such.
Lyttle Law Firm, PLLC
Lyttle Law Firm, PLLC | Daniella Lyttle
Hello, Taxes are an important aspect of your citizenship application. Some jurisdictions are more picky than others. I know for my clients here in Texas, I always make sure their taxes are current and that there is no tax debt before I file for citizenship. If you don't have tax debt, and you did not file because you did not have income, you should be ok. But be prepared to answer some questions and take the tax returns you do have to the citizenship interview. If you owe taxes, take care of it before you file. Best of luck.
Baughman & Wang
Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
As long as you do not owe any taxes you should be fine.
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
    You do not have to file taxes if you do not have an income, but the USCIS will ask how you support yourself. Must have a good answer!