Do I have to respond to a subpoena that was emailed to me and was that proper service? 3 Answers as of May 07, 2017

I am being called to testify in a felony stalking case. I have no pertinent information regarding the case. I've told the DA investigator that already. I was emailed the subpoena on Friday, then they want me to drop everything and be in court on Thursday. The trial is in another county, a five hour drive one way. If I wasn't properly served, do I still have to go?

A service by mail of a criminal subpoena is not valid unless the person has agreed to it and further has provided certain personal information to the person serving the subpoena. You can either ignore it completely but better if you are concerned what they will say about your not being there is to communicate to the court through another like an attorney what happened but you do not consider it service. Of course then you have opened a line of communication that they may use to try to get you to come.
Mail subpoenas are not valid unless the receipt acknowledges receipt (usually by calling back).
Law Office of Edward J. Blum
Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
No, there are a number of problems with that service.