Do I have to respond to a complaint against me? 2 Answers as of July 11, 2017

I received a letter from police department wanting to talk to me for a criminal complaint someone has filed against me.

James Sterling Lawrence, Attorney at Law | James Sterling Lawrence
No, you do not have to respond unless you want to. If there were a court order directing you to come in you would have to obey it, but would still not have to answer questions. Normally, the police bring you in (or ask you to come in) to try to squeeze or trick you into saying something unwise that will help make a case against you. If you say nothing, that cannot happen. You can hire a lawyer to tell them you will not be answering questions without a lawyer, but it is unclear that is needed. If you are charged or arrested, tell them you have nothing to say without an attorney (but you should provide your name and address). In that case, you will definitely need a lawyer. You might wish to hire a lawyer now just to consult about the matter if you have any continuing concerns.
No! In fact that's a horrible idea. You should discuss anything like this with a local lawyer first.