Do I have to report a misdemeanor to current employer? 7 Answers as of September 23, 2013

I made a huge mistake in the past and stole from a previous job. I have not yet been convicted of anything but at the time I was told it would probably be ruled as a misdemeanor because it is a first offense. Once I am called about it by a case detective, I was advised to please "no contest" in court and then pay bond, etc. I just got a new job and in the handbook it says that I am supposed to report any convictions for felonies or misdemeanors. Is this actually required by law because I am very afraid of losing my new job very quickly if this comes up - because it was a work-related thing. If that happens I will most likely lose my apartment and be homeless which I would really really like to avoid at any cost.

You are required to report any convictions. You either will or you won't, PERIOD. Are you really asking someone on-line to make the adult the decision for you. Here is the answer: DO NOT HAVE ANY CHILDREN. Since you cannot respond to life as an adult.
Petty theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted you can kiss your career aspirations goodbye.
Law Office of Brian K. Wanerman
Law Office of Brian K. Wanerman | Brian K. Wanerman
If you have not been convicted, you can answer no to any question that asks if you have been convicted. If you plead "no contest" and were found guilty, you were convicted and must answer yes to the question. There is no law that says this. But, if your company conducts a background check, the conviction will show on your record.
First you have not been convicted yet so you do not have to report it. Second if charged then plead not guilty. To do anything else is a chump move since you give up all bargaining power. Get a lawyer. Maybe they can work out a deal so you end up with no conviction.
Yes, you are required to report the matter. If you fail to do so and they find out ( they monitor for violations) you most definitely will be discharged. You do not state what you are being charged with, but a no contest plea is not the way to go.
    I am confused by the facts presented and need the details. If a condition of your present employment is to report any convictions and you do not then they can, and will most probably, fire you immediately. Therefore your best course of action is to try to avoid the conviction. A "no contest" plea will result in a conviction. Please, please do not take your legal advice from the detective prosecuting the case.
    Furlong & Drewniak PLLC
    Furlong & Drewniak PLLC | Thaddeus Furlong, Esq.
    Legally, there is no Virginia law reporting requirement. Your employer has a policy rule requiring reporting that if you violate may result in adverse consequences to your job. Not reporting it violates your employer's policy and may also result in adverse consequences if the emoter finds out.