Do I have to report an anulled marriage when applying for a new marriage certificate? 14 Answers as of June 09, 2013

I got married in Las Vegas. Three months later I had it annulled. I'm embarrassed about this and NEVER told ANYONE. Now, I've met someone, we're engaged, and close to applying for our marriage license. I was told that an annulment is the same as it never happening. If that's true, do I have to mention it when applying for a new marriage license?

Beresford Booth PLLC
Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
I am not familiar with the marriage license form, but, you are correct, and annulment means the marriage never happened.
Law Office of Roianne H. Conner
Law Office of Roianne H. Conner | Roianne Houlton Conner
Yes. If you do not you could be charged with perjury.
Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler
Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler | Robert L Fiedler
An annulment makes it so that the marriage never existed, unless you are asked whether you ever had a marriage annulled.
Yes, An annulment is essentially a determination that the marriage was invalid for some reason. It doesnt simply erase history, so it must be disclosed as required in Colo Revised Statutes, 14-2-105.
No.
    Law Office of Patricia Van Haren
    Law Office of Patricia Van Haren | Patricia Van Haren
    If it was annulled, you do not need to mention that you were married before as it was as the marriage did not exist.
    Arnold & Wadsworth
    Arnold & Wadsworth | Brian Arnold
    I do not believe you would have to report this because who would you need to report this to. As long as you are not married then you can get married again.
    Willick Law Group
    Willick Law Group | Marshal S. Willick
    Unless you married your first cousin, etc., the first marriage was not "void ab initio" but annulled for cause.
    OCGA 19-3-2 (3)) requires showing the divorce decree.
    Edward Papa, Esq.
    Edward Papa, Esq. | Edward Papa
    Answer the questions on the marriage license truthfully. You will most likely need the proof of the prior annulment. This may be time for an honest talk with your Fiance - secrets have a way of coming out eventually. Besides Las Vegas (Clark County) has a searchable marriage records website from 2001 which ANYONE can lookup the certificate and license from your previous marriage.
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law | Gary Moore
    You must answer questions on any form for marriage truthfully. If the form asks about annulments, you must answer truthfully. If the form asks about a prior annulled marriage, the marriage never happened.
    Most applications will not ask if you had an annulment, only a divorce. An annulment is as if the marriage did not happen, so it should not have to be disclosed.
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
    From a legal stand point, I am aware of no rule that would require you to disclose a marriage that has been properly annulled in another state. However, from a relationship stand point, it may be another matter. Do you really want to start off your marriage keeping secrets from your spouse?