Do I have to put up with this officer talking to my friends like that and making accusations? 8 Answers as of June 19, 2014

On Sunday around 6:45 pm, I had some friends over. My husband and a friend we're working on our car and a couple was getting ready to go home. Three cop cars came and they began to ask my friend questions if she lived there and how she knew us and our other friend. He made accusations about where my car broke down, that it was a known drug house and that my car had been seen there several times. Well the car was there for 7 days, and had to be towed. I'm afraid to have my grandkids come over because I don't want him scaring them or anything else. I feel like who I have visiting and how I know them isn’t his business.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Elhart & Horvath, P.C.
Elhart & Horvath, P.C. | Mattias Johnson
The very first thing you should always do is file a harassment complaint against the police officers you feel harassed by, at the police station in the jurisdiction where the police officers are employed. If that doesn't end the harassment, filing a complaint within the Internal Affairs Bureau is often the best route to take. However, before filing a complaint within the Internal Affairs Bureau, you must note and keep a journal containing every detail of every instance that you feel harassment by the police. You may also want to contact an experienced criminal attorney in your area especially if you believe that this is not an isolated incident.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/19/2014
Barton Barton & Plotkin
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
The police are allowed to investigate potential wrongdoing. If your car broke down near a drug house, that could give the police suspicion that you or your husband were engaged in wrongdoing. If you have nothing to hide, then I don't see why this should bother you. The police are there to help the community, and these inquiries are entirely appropriate. Of course, however, the police are not supposed to unreasonably investigate your conduct without having a reasonable suspicion of wrongdoing. If you believe that the police have no reasonable basis for continuing to investigate the situation, then I suggest that you retain criminal defense counsel to intervene on your behalf with the police. Don't try to handle this on your own-if you feel mistreated by the police, then get a lawyer to help you. But please understand that these police officers are just doing their job-which protects all of us.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/12/2014
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
The interrogation is somewhat inappropriate and certainly intrusive, however I do not believe that it rises to a violation of the law. The police are allowed to investigate suspicious circumstances.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/12/2014
Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg
Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg | Eric Sterkenburg
If the questions were all answered to the satisfaction of the police, you should have no contact with them in the future.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/12/2014
Law Office of James E. Smith
Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
It's called investigating.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 6/12/2014
    Milstein Defense Law
    Milstein Defense Law | Jeff Milstein
    You could tell him that you and no one in your family wants to be asked questions and to please stay sway. Its awful how the police have become. The police have no more rights than the ordinary citizen. If the harassment continues call an attorney or civil rights group for help.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 6/12/2014
    Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly
    Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly | Brendan M. Kelly
    The cops have no right to do this and you should have asked for a warrant or told them to go and pound sand.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 6/12/2014
Click to View More Answers: