Do I have to put an underage DUI on my college applications? 9 Answers as of October 19, 2010

My counselor told me that I have to put on my application that I got a DUI when I was 16. I have not done anything else wrong since then but I am afraid that I will not get in. Does it really matter?

If the application asks for the information you need to put if on. If they check on it and you have not put it in you will be in more trouble.
Law Office of Marc K. Herbert
Law Office of Marc K. Herbert | Marc K. Herbert
It depends on the application. Most colleges and employers should only ask about felony convictions.

Unless there is an accident with a significant injury, DUI is a misdemeanor, not a felony. And a juvenile case is technically a civil petition, not a criminal filing.

If you are over 18 and not on probation now, you can file a petition to seal your juvenile record. If granted by the Court, sealing your record would prevent any college from getting information about any juvenile convictions and by operation of law, you can write that you have no juvenile convictions.

If you would like to discuss your case in greater detail, please call my office for a phone consultation.
If the application requires it, then why would you think you could lie and not suffer a consequence for lying when they run a background check and find it? That is called application or resume fraud, and is grounds for disciplinary action or termination from school or employment.

You could seek to have your juvenile records sealed by Motion and Application to the court. If successful, then you could say no and get away with it, if you are willing to do so.

If serious about sealing records, feel free to contact me.
The Law Office of Sam Salhab
The Law Office of Sam Salhab | Samer Salhab
It depends on the question asked. I suggest you consult a lawyer and bring in an actual application so we can think through the problem together.
The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann
The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann | Christopher J. McCann
Assuming you were charged in juvenile court as a juvenile (as opposed to being charged as an adult), you were not "convicted", you suffered what would be called a juvenile "adjudication". Applications (school or job) are not allowed to ask about juvenile adjudications, only adult convictions. I would disagree with your counselor. To be certain though, you should seek the advice of an attorney.
    You should consider hiring an attorney for an expungement.
    Well, if asked the direct question for a college application, it can be an issue should they discover that you withheld information from them. I would advise getting your juvenile record "sealed" so you can answer "no" to that question. I would be happy to assist you with that.