Do I have to provide financial records regarding child support? 7 Answers as of March 02, 2011

How long before child support court do I need to provide financial records to the other party? And if I don't, what happens?

Pisarra and Grist
Pisarra and Grist | David T. Pisarra
Yes you have to provide financial records in a child support case. Each county has their own rules, and you should speak to an attorney who is experienced in this area to make sure your records are proper and accurately reflect your income.

I recommend my books as excellent primers on divorce strategy for men, child custody and the dangerous landscape of domestic violence for men.

A MAN'S GUIDE TO DIVORCE STRATEGY is designed for men to give them the "bottom line" they want to know.

A MAN'S GUIDE TO DOMESTIC VIOLENCE is a short book on how women use domestic violence claims against men, how it effects their child custody and how to protect and defend against false claim

A MAN'S GUIDE TO CHILD CUSTODY is the most important book a father can read. It explains in plain language what his rights are, and how to best protect them.
Law Office of John C. Volz
Law Office of John C. Volz | John C. Volz
Yes, you must provide financial records pertaining to child support. If you do not the court can hold you in contempt and/or charge you a fine.
Michael Rose Attorney at Law
Michael Rose Attorney at Law | Michael Rose
Child Support is based on how much your earn and how much time you have with the child. Both parents have to supply this information.
If the other party has sought financial information or records from you via discovery, such as interrogatories or a demand to produce records, for a pending trial or OSC for support (whether Spousal Support or Child Support), you need to respond and produce records within the 30-day response time. If the other party has subpoenaed records from you, you need to comply with the requirements of the subpoena. Your responses to any OSC (including your Responsive Declaration and your Income and Expense Declaration) need to be filed and served at least 9 Court (not calendar) days prior to the hearing on the OSC.

Your local court rules should prescribe which documents you need to bring to the OSC hearing, but generally, those rules require production of your last two years of filed Income Tax returns (State and Federal), your loan applications from the last year, and your last three paycheck stubs (or advices of deposit). If you don't comply with discovery requirements and/or the court rules, the Court can continue the hearing, impose monetary sanctions against you, and impose a temporary order without prejudice to a subsequent retroactive order after you provide the sought records.
Your updated income and expense declaration should be filed at least 5 court days before the hearing. Failure to do so could result in the court imputing income to you based upon the other party's allegation, you could be sanctioned, or the court could continue the matter if you fail to provide your information (or some combination thereof).
    Bartholomew & Wasznicky LLP
    Bartholomew & Wasznicky LLP | Hal D. Bartholomew
    Yes. Your financial records are available to be reviewed by the other party to determine your income. You are also entitled to look at the financial records of the other party. The income tax returns of each of you will be available to the other as long as child support continues. That normally is age 18, graduation from high school, or turning 19 if still in high school. There is a form called the Income and Expense Declaration (FL150) that is required to be prepared by each party and submitted to the Court.. Check with an attorney or with the Family Facilitator office in your county for the rules as to the deadline when it must be filed with the Court.
    Yes, you have to provide records. If you don't, the court can estimate your income based on other parties statements.