Do I have to provide the father notice? Posted on April 20, 2011

I have filed the necessary paperwork at the Rock Island County courthouse in IL to change my daughter's last name to mine. I have paid for the public notice in the newspaper and will send a certified letter to her father's last known address. However, I was notified by the state of IL that he was incarcerated in February 2011 and his child support case would be closed. He was convicted of a violent crime unrelated to my daughter and I. However, we have had an order of protection against him since February 2010 with no contact since then. What is my legal responsibility as far as providing him notice? Do I need to track down which prison he was sent to? I have an address for his dad, should I send a certified letter there?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Click to View More Answers: